Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly broadband very slow

FIXED
IanSn
Rising Star

Suddenly broadband very slow

Can anyone check to see if my connection has issues?

Waiting ages for pages to load, etc.

Checked BT wholesale - 6.21 Mbps

No changes to anything, usually get around 16 Mbps

SpeedTest13jun2022.PNG

37 REPLIES 37
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Suddenly broadband very slow

@IanSn Is this an ADSL or FTTC connection? Which modem/router are you using?

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Sorry, its ADSL. Its a fairly new PlusNet router. The numbers are all over the place. I've now had a 16 and an 8 Mbps.

jab1
Legend

OK Ian. From what I have read, the Help Team are a little busy, so I am going to post my 'Help sheet' and hope I can spot something to help you before I finish on here for the rest of the week.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Thanks John

Sorry for delay - Oddly the submit button on the BT Broadband link doesn't submit. Tried this a few times.

Performance Test attached. This time 15 Mbps, but as I said, this is varying wildly.

Quite Line is very quiet indeed!

Dont have a master socket here, nothing to unscrew.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by 'broadband connection status' or Hub 1 / 2. Is that the PlusNet home screen you are refering to?

(SaferNetworking update is currently downloading at Kb/s. But that might just be their line.)

ian

AdvancedTest13jun2022.PNG

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the BT Performance Report, Ian. Unfortunately, as I have noticed on one or two others recently, it is reporting wildly inaccurate figures, so is not a great help, but from the bit of it I can fairly safely rely on - the reported IP profile - you must be on a reasonably short line from the exchange, so you get a good connection speed.

You must have a master socket, otherwise you wouldn't have a phone or BB connection 😉, but I don't think that last bit would be any great help anyway.

Which actual modem/router do you have, and then I'll post a picture showing you how to access the required information?

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Yes, very close to exchange, normally its very good.

Its a small PlusNet SagemCom, if that means anything? Nine lights across the front.

The master socket is just a flat 'light-switch' type panel with one slot for the cable/filter to plug in. Obvs pretty old.

The speeds are going from good to extremely slow and then back again. Its been doing it for a week or so. Lots of spinning wheels.

I've been trying to figure out why the fluctuations. Thought there might be a line issue.

I could contact the phone supplier maybe? Or give it a while longer and see if it rectifies?

ian

jab1
Legend

Ah, so a very old 2704N then (identity will be on a label, probably on the bottom), and unfortunately not one I have had experience with or got any data for.

Is that 'master socket' at the point your phone line enters your hose or  on a cable running from that point - if not, it is conceivable that it isn't the master socket ?

If the phone is passing the Quiet Line Test, the issue must be on the broadband side of the circuit, so I would report a BROADBAND issue via this link: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Found it. 2704N. Old, eh?  Hmm, I got this one fairly recently from PlusNet when my old one packed up. Paid for it, too.

Its a flat in a block on the first floor. Its the point where the cable enters the flat, near the front-door. Prior to that, I don't know. I've looked at the help pages which show various types of master socket, this one is none of them! Its not a box.

Ok, I'll give it a few days and then try the link you suggest here.

Many thanks for your help, appreciated.

ian

jab1
Legend

If it is a 2704N, Ian, it IS old - PN haven't been supplying those for, at a guess three years - maybe more. Sounds like you have a non-standard installation then is this a flat conversion, or purpose built?

The problem isn't going to go away on its own - - I suggest you report it immediately.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@jab1  PN have issued them to ADSL customers until quite recently. 

IanSn
Rising Star

Its a block of purpose-built flats. 1980s I think. Its rented. Owner has never updated line/box.

Very slow at the moment, took a while to get this page to load. Yes, I'd better sort it out.

Should I get a new router? Maybe its on the way out already.

IanSn
Rising Star

I know it!

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum Thanks - didn't know that - are they still in the 'faqs' as current issue?

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@jab1  they are otherwise known as the Hub zero and still mentioned in the Help section, as is the old Technicolour 582n.