cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly My Fibre Slowed Down :< Question #65151721

Timbob
Grafter

Suddenly My Fibre Slowed Down :< Question #65151721

So I've had a couple of months of really good service now with the fibre. Not a problem in the last few weeks at all and it's all been fantastic. Today that all changed when I found myself dealing with what seems like a really unstable connection. What's strange about it is that uploading initially was right down to 12kbps, but then a while later I was uploading at 3mbps, while the download speed was right down to <1mbps, instead of the usual 75mbps.

I'm not sure what could be causing this, the equipment at this end is as it was a few days ago. It's been a good while since the last engineer visit, and he fitted a brand new master socket for us! I'd really like it looked into at your end. Cheers!
Tim.
Question #65151721
15 REPLIES 15
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Suddenly My Fibre Slowed Down :< Question #65151721

Rather worrying that is you're in the top 6% of the country with those super speeds (according to speedtest.net)!
Have you run multiple tests today to compare different times of the day?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

that'll be the upload speed weighting...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Tim,
We're currently testing your line and once we have the results we'll update you.
We did have a few issues with our <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.msg954956.htm">network last night</a> that may have caused this which we're currently working on but we'll check to see if anything is amiss anyway.
If there's anything in the meantime please let me know.
Chris
Timbob
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
Today the connection is pretty much the same as yesterday: slowww lol.
I ran this speedtest. The speeds seemed to spike up and down a lot at the start of the test, reaching up to 10mbps, then dropping to <1mbps. The download test ground to a halt halfway through, taking almost two minutes to complete. The upload test was pretty slow to start with, then spiked up suddenly at the end.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you run the test here, once the first test is complete you should be able to run a diagnostic version of the test that'll ask for your phone number:
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Timbob
Grafter

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that, we've performed some tests on your line and it looks like an engineer appointment is required, can you reply to your <a href="https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search">ticket</a> and we'll arrange that to get this resolved for you.
Timbob
Grafter

Done. Cheers. Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great stuff, it looks like we've got a date on the 1st Feb for that, we're just waiting on confirmation and we'll update you.
Timbob
Grafter

Engineer came and did his stuff. What's really odd is that he completely tested the line and the fibre and everything's coming through pretty much perfectly at that point. It's synced at 80mbps down 20 up, the line quality was actually exceptional he said.
Does this mean there's an issue somewhere else, with the router or the ethernet cabling? I find it very odd that it just suddenly becomes a problem when nothing has been done to any of the equipment here. We just started having issues out of the blue.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Timbob,
Firstly, please add this feedback to your fault ticket - otherwise our team won't know what happened during the engineer visit, and won't know the best way to proceed in dealing with it.
Did the engineer run a speed test at all on the line, or did he just check the sync? Ideally he'd have run a speed test using the BT test login (he'd have details of that) to prove the issue was apparent?
Timbob
Grafter

Yeah sorry I'll add this to the ticket. Yeah he tested the sync, then he ran speed tests and checked the line for noise etc. He seemed pretty adamant that the line could not be in better shape actually as far as fibre and everything else goes really.
Timbob
Grafter

One thing I've noticed is that the that, on the BT modem, the LED for the ethernet cable to the router, seems to flicker constantly, as do all the lights on the router. Not sure if that means anything.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

LED for the ethernet cable to the router, seems to flicker constantly, as do all the lights on the router. Not sure if that means anything.

No I'd not worry it just indicates activity over the ethernet port which would be quite frequent anyway.
Sorry to hear there's still issues with this following the engineer visit, however our faults guys should get back to you ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team