cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly I'm on BT Thinband!!!

andyhop

Suddenly I'm on BT Thinband!!!

Hi, first post so be gentle with me. Embarrassed
Been with PlusNet for a couple of months and am loving the freedom, however, sometime lastnight my sync speed dropped to 500kbps. Rebooted and went back up to 4500 :), however internet speed was still complete pants, download 0.1Mbs upload 0.4Mbs  >:(.
Our exchange has been on red since January due I believe to contension issues.
My reported speed on the PlusNet site is 500kbps although my router still reports 4288kbps down and 488kbps up. I cannot run the BT Speedtest it just freezes at 96%, so thats no good, but all other speedtest report down lower than my old 56K modem!!!
Has anyone got any suggestions?
Andy
7 REPLIES 7
andyhop

Re: Suddenly I'm on BT Thinband!!!

Huh Gee, thats sucks!!!
andyhop

Well this morning my, Router has dropped again to 640kbps down but my IPconfig speed seems to be 500K, The BTSpeedtest service will get partway through, but at least does tell me what the line speed is before freezing!!
So some improvement.
Yesterday some guy on the technical support tried to tell me that the reason my line speed had dropped over night from 4Mb down to 135K was due to the red light on my exchange (since January) at Lenham which is due to contesion issues. Any comments on that suggestion!!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

probably true, to many people on to small an exchange, if you go to the member zone, then connection settings, then broadband fault checker, it will give you more information about your exchange
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Contention should only affect throughput speed, it certainly shouldn't affect your sync rates. If it is sync rate drops chances are interference somewhere is causing your ADSL hardware to drop the connection as per an intermittent sync fault, have a look at the router logs to see if this is the case. If so, test with the router in the master BT socket and everything else removed from the line and see if it still drops out.
If not, it's something plugged into your line. If so, looks like there's a line fault - if you report this to us at http://faults.plus.net we'll be able to take a look for you.
Hope that helps,
andyhop

OK, thats all usefull info. We only have one phone in the house, and thats plugged into the master socket with a filter, no extensions etc, and always been that way.
andyhop

Just checked my router again, and it has dropped from 5128 to 244 again, why does my router keep doing this? If I reboot the router it will sync back to a decent speed again, but how will my IP profile speed ever be increased if my router keeps backpedalling?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
As I said above, there's some kind of interference on the line causing the connection to drop. Testing from the master socket as per the above will rule out your own internal equipment and wiring, the only remaining possibilities are the router itself or the line. If the router works fine on another line, or if you can test with alternative hardware on your own line and this removes the issue, then it is a line fault and should be reported to us at http://faults.plus.net
Hope that helps,