Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden speed drop

tooslow
Grafter

Re: Sudden speed drop

Quote from: plusnettony
Hi,
Can you confirm the download speeds? Can you please also run the test, when it's slow, through the BT speedtest site at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ . Ensure you do this via a ethernet connection, not wireless.
Thanks,
Tony

15.13mbps - All seems fine now thanks.
tooslow
Grafter

My speed has dropped yet again to 8.22 Mbps.
Please could you investigate. And reset my line.
The only outages I've experience are when. I have renewed my connection through my router whilst cofigering it. Is there a problem with my line?
Please can you reply today.
tooslow
Grafter

BT Wholesale Speed Test: 8.62mbps  
My normal Speed should be 14.5mbps.
Have BT DLM my line yet again???? Please sort this out as it's becoming rather annoying.
dick:quote
tooslow
Grafter

Quote from: tooslow
BT Wholesale Speed Test: 8.62mbps  
My normal Speed should be 14.5mbps.
Have BT DLM my line yet again???? Please sort this out as it's becoming rather annoying.
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]

Is there anyone looking into this for me? Thanks.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

DLM will have intervened on your line as it's disconnecting a lot.

The last reset we did worked briefly, but continually resetting the line isn't going to resolve whatever is causing the connection to drop so much.
I'd advise getting this looked at as a fault by going through https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tooslow
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
DLM will have intervened on your line as it's disconnecting a lot.

The last reset we did worked briefly, but continually resetting the line isn't going to resolve whatever is causing the connection to drop so much.
I'd advise getting this looked at as a fault by going through https://faults.plus.net

Mate.
Your graph is showing the LAST issue of DLM. Which I explained at the time was me configuring new routers! Plusnet have reset my internet on the 7/1/15 - So why show disconnections prior to that as the cause of the DLM now? Since the 7/1/15 I have disconnected my router a dozen times or so but through the router first (as you advised), and these coincide with the graph you have shown me.
You told me last time that to AVOID DLM I should go into my router and and disconnect through the router software first!  
This is what I have been doing and it is very clear that the so called outages are due to ME ENDING SESSIONS AND RENEWING THEM! though my router and NOT a line fault. 
Jeez, cannot i not even breath on my router without DLM kicking in?????? This is ridiculous. Can you not disable DLM on my account - I fear buying a new router now, as yet again, you guys will see it as the set-up as a disconnection!
PLEASE RESET MY INTERNET. SO THAT NORMAL SPEED CAN RESUME AGAIN.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

All of the disconnections over the weekend were configuring the router? 23 sessions since Friday seems excessive for that.
I can see that several of them show as 'User Request' which is what we'd expect to see, but there are many more showing a lost session.
I'll reset your line one more time, but if the disconnections continue I'd strongly advise this being looked at as a fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tooslow
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
All of the disconnections over the weekend were configuring the router? 23 sessions since Friday seems excessive for that.
I can see that several of them show as 'User Request' which is what we'd expect to see, but there are many more showing a lost session.
I'll reset your line one more time, but if the disconnections continue I'd strongly advise this being looked at as a fault.

Thank you.
1.Is there a way I can see that graph for myself to check periodically to see If I am experiencing loss sessions?
2.Do you think any settings on my router that might be cause of lost sessions?
3.I have noticed that I assigned a different IP address on each session renewal - is this normal?
4.Is there a way to disable DLM you end? Surely, if there is a fault I will notice and report it.
5. Please put up a Sticky on here explaining how DLM works and what causes it - it would be helpful.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

1.Is there a way I can see that graph for myself to check periodically to see If I am experiencing loss sessions?
No, only PlusNet can access that report directly unfortunately.
Don't know what router you have but if it's anything like the PN Thompson router it's hard to do anything 'silly' with the settings unless you've got out of your depth using telnet commands.
3.I have noticed that I assigned a different IP address on each session renewal - is this normal?
Yes, unless you have asked for (and paid for) a static address.
4.Is there a way to disable DLM you end? Surely, if there is a fault I will notice and report it.
Very few lines are perfect - DLM is there to automatically manage each one individually for the best combination of speed and stability.
5. Please put up a Sticky on here explaining how DLM works and what causes it - it would be helpful.

DLM is a feature of your broadband connection rather than a problem (at least, it's not supposed to be!  :D) - THIS article explains how it works, although it's a bit technical.
tooslow
Grafter

Quote from: JayG
No, only PlusNet can access that report directly unfortunately.
Don't know what router you have but if it's anything like the PN Thompson router it's hard to do anything 'silly' with the settings unless you've got out of your depth using telnet commands.
Yes, unless you have asked for (and paid for) a static address.
Very few lines are perfect - DLM is there to automatically manage each one individually for the best combination of speed and stability.

DLM is a feature of your broadband connection rather than a problem (at least, it's not supposed to be!  :D) - THIS article explains how it works, although it's a bit technical.

Thanks - But can you tell me, does DLM work in reverse and correct the speed if no outages/faults are detected for a few days???
I've also read that is you keep the router off for more that 30 minutes then DLM does not register it? Is this correct?Huh
PS:  I've just changed some settings on my router so please make sure they don't contribute to another speed DLM speed restriction.