cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden speed drop

tooslow
Grafter

Sudden speed drop

Having had a consistent 14mbps since line activation a few weeks back, my speed is not hitting more than 8mbps. In fact it now seems fixed at 8mbps all day long.
Nothing has change here regarding equipment or sockets, so could PN please check for a fault or a techinal reason for this and get back to me. Ta. I hope you haven't just halved my download speed.
Footnote: something is a fault externally. I just performed a speed test and got 3mbps download and 7mbps upload!!!!
24 REPLIES 24
tooslow
Grafter

Re: Sudden speed drop

Anyone from Planet helping here? My speed has just halved.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Go act on http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line is disconnecting a lot more than I'd expect, something does not look right here.
I know you say nothing has changed, but is the router plugged in to the master socket and have you listened for any noise on the phone line?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tooslow
Grafter

I have just done a BT test in the Master Socket and it is coming back at max 8.14mpbs and no fault detected. The reason for the outages may have been due to me configuring a new router (hence turning it on and off lots), and temporarily using a torrent client (which is now uninstalled - which caused my router to disconnect a lot).  I believe these are the reasons for the markers on the graphs above.
So have Plusnet reduced my speed because of these markers?? I am not happy with 8.14mbps when I was getting a 14.5mbps before yesterday. Can you please fix this? Who is responsible for lowering my speed to 8.14mbps?
PS. No line noise.
My router stats are excellent (as was my previous speed!)
Noise Margin
6 dB
7 dB
Attenuation
9 dB
20 dB
jim:quote
Chris
Legend

If the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) equipment at the exchange detects the line is unstable, then it'll take steps to improve the stability this will often reduce the speed.
If you need to move the router, the best bet is to log in to it and press 'disconnect' before unplugging it.
Your line still seems to be disconnecting, have you turned the router on and off this morning as there are a few disconnections overnight.

We can request a reset on the line, but if there are still disconnections then it's highly likely to just happen again and we can only reset the line once in a 10 day period.
If the disconnections aren't caused by you resetting the router then we need to figure out what's causing them.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tooslow
Grafter

YES. I reset the router during the early hours of the morning. The disconnections were caused by me. I did not know I had to press 'disconnect' on the router before a reboot.
So can you please request a 'reset' on my line. Thank you. How long will this take?
dick:quote
Chris
Legend

No problem. I'll request the reset now and it should happen within the next hour or so. As mentioned, we can't request another reset for 10 days.
tooslow
Grafter

Thanks.
Ps. On my router I have the option to 'pause' the connection - will this be the same as pressing 'disconnect' before a reboot? And can i pause as many times before a reboot without it registering as a fault?
dick:quote
Chris
Legend

I'm not sure what 'pause' would do. It sounds like it'd be the same, so you should be safe to disconnect once that's happened.
Chris
Legend

OK, that's worked already. The line is connecting at 17634 now, this seems to be around the level we expect for your line. You might need do a single disconnect/reconnect to get the faster speeds.
tooslow
Grafter

Much appreciated. BT Speed Test: 15.27mbps.
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
tooslow
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
OK, that's worked already. The line is connecting at 17634 now, this seems to be around the level we expect for your line. You might need do a single disconnect/reconnect to get the faster speeds.

Last evening my download spee decreased again. Whilst performing an oolka speed test it was spiking wildly and hitting speeds of around 9 to 10bps. In the morning my speed in strong and steady again....is this normal ADSL behaviour?
Can you see any issues your end?
tooslow
Grafter

jim:quote
Bump
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Can you confirm the download speeds? Can you please also run the test, when it's slow, through the BT speedtest site at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ . Ensure you do this via a ethernet connection, not wireless.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team