Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden slow speeds

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Sudden slow speeds

My mother in law has texted me tonight saying her internet has been unbearably slow for a couple of days. Shes done what I asked last time by rebooting the router but no change. Shes not technically minded at all, but I have sent her an email with instructions on getting line stats, but im not hopeful.  I have asked her to do a quiet line test but she only has a wireless phone.  Her phone wiring is old, and she has no nte5. A while back I did what I could with the internal wiring setup,  so its as good as it can get. I am going to try and get up tomorrow as she lives on her own, but wondered if the csc would be so kind as to run a line test and maybe post or pm me her radius logs. If the line test shows anything I can then kick off a faults process. Great full for any help

Her current line speed  is  0.2  I can pm her username if needed.

Many thanks

19 REPLIES 19
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Sudden slow speeds

Post a ticket number from her account - they'll be able to find her from that.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

290347962 is a recent ticket no.

Out of interest, I noticed this last time but shes on a 21cn exchange but is only syncing at adsl2 not 2+. 

Not been on adsl for a while,  how long does 21cn dlm take to readjust speeds

penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK. She managed to get current bandwidth, but unfortunately not sent me attenuation etc.
Bandwidth speeds are 1016/283. These look odd to me, maybe line has been banded, but still doesn't upstream look odd? . radius logs and line test results would be interesting, but I suspect I will need to raise a fault. She has done quiet line test and can hear nothing.

Apologies.... Upstream is 1016, down 283, and this is after a reboot. Need CSC input please😀
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As she has no master with a test socket you've done all you can - I'm 99% certain that when Plusnet do contribute to this topic it will be to ask that a fault is raised so they can investigate. I suggest you get it raised now to get the ticket in the queue.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Cheers Jelv, appreciate your input.

Hopefully going up tonight, but will raise a fault today, to get in the queue as you say.

With a bit of luck CSC will post up some stats or PM me, so we can see if shes had a spate of disconnections recently.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well nothing from CSC!!!!  Went up today, and the stats do look odd.  I have attached from her TG582n, and also from another router, a plusnet hub zero, reset to ADSL.  On both routers, the download syncs are dreadful, but the SNR appears quite normal.  On the TG582, the reported downstream attenuation is much higher than the sagem, and AFAIK she was getting syncs in the region of approx 4000-4500 on the downstream. I do wonder if the 582n is on its way out, but syncs were still poor with the sagem.  She reports nothing odd, but I have also listened to her phone, and it is a little noisy, but no obvious pops or crackles.

Would welcome any insights on her line stats.....

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Could someone possibly take a look at ticket 

Don't want to be trying to jump the queue, but my mother in law us a widow and relies on the internet for a lot of things. If it could be looked at I would be very grateful, as her broadband at the min is nigh on useless. If tests indicate a BT engineer is needed WD can crack on and get one booked.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

A line test has been done, shows no obvious issues, but alot of errors and disconnects recently. The router appears to have resynced at a higher speed of just over 2meg, but loop loss showing at 60dB. I cant be 100%, but I am sure they had higher speeds previous to this of around 4meg. Can anyone hazard a guess as to the issues, with the differences in loop loss between the 2 routers, and ??can CSC obtain an historical speed rate for this line? I would be most grateful is this is possible. As an aside, I have been looking into Fibre for her, and noticed the BT estimates for her line are between 3-7.5 for ADSL, and 40-50meg for fibre. She does live a distance from the exchange, according to Sam Knows 1876m away, and estimateds her max speed as approx 5Mb.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The attenuation figure between the routers suggests that one is faulty or maybe a cable/filter that was used with that router is causing an issue.

When the routers were swapped, were all the cables and filters changed at the same time?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

hi chris, thanks for the input.  No the filter and adsl cable were not changed. I tried to keep things as simple as possible.   I aim to leave the line for a few days then swap the routers. 

As an aside do you have access to historic delta report data for the line.  Would be interesting to see what the speeds were, as I am sure they were in the 4k range when I set up her youview box a few months ago.  Out of interest whats the line currently set to and why would your tests show a loop loss of 60db butvthe newer router report onky 49db.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As an aside do you have access to historic delta report data for the line.

I'll drop these on to a ticket on the account shortly.

Out of interest whats the line currently set to

WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

There's no banding or restrictions in place.

and why would your tests show a loop loss of 60db butvthe newer router report onky 49db.

That's why I asked about the cables, I've seen internal faults caused by cabling that can artificially inflate the attenuation. Whatever is causing that to happen is the underlying issue, and as it seems much better on another router I wouldn't suggest sending an engineer as that would be classed as their equipment and a charge applied.

If possible I'd leave the other router in place, set it up with their connection details and let me know so I can test the line.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks chris. Good to know no banding is in place.  I will pop up tomorrow and fully install the hub zero that I used to use,  and I will pop you a pm when done, if that's ok. 

Many thanks for the input and advice.   I also have a new filter and cable here as well. 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just looked at the delta reports. Interesting,  but confirms my suspicions that shecwas syncing at 4-5k up until early september when they suddenly halved to 2500 and progressively dropped from there. Maybe a router issue???

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi Chris. Changed the router over and for good measure the adsl cable and filter. Things have improved dramatically... She'd now syncing at 5326/888. Attn down 49,up 30. Don't think a line test needed, seems like it was a dodgy router. Many many thanks for the help. How long would it take for plusnet rate to increase. Not used to adsl anymore😂. I'm likely going to call in for her and try and do a deal for fibre in the next week or so now. She's been with you since 2009.