cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden fibre speed increase..........why??

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Sudden fibre speed increase..........why??

When I changed to PN fibre unlimited in Oct. last year I was forecast to receive a D/L of 45 Mbps & I achieved an average of 42-3 Mbps. Over time this gradually decreased to an average of 38 Mbps & I was informed that this was caused by cross talk, a phenomenon which seems to be quite common, judging by the comments on this forum.
A couple of weeks ago there was a marked decrease in my latency & also a slight increase in my speed to 40 Mbps. Over the past 2 days this has now increased to a healthy & steady 44 Mbps. The BT advisory site is still saying that I should be receiving only 38 Mbps. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on?

5 REPLIES 5
All4One
Grafter

Re: Sudden fibre speed increase..........why??

I'm estimated for 38.5Mbps down and 6Mbps up on DSL checker. I get about 42.4Mbps down and 10-12Mbps up.
I believe that estimate is marked down just to give it space to fluctuate.
And hey, speed above, /whooooop
pabloeldiablo
Dabbler

My line is estimated to be 53Mb and i only get 33 donw and 7-8 up..  Undecided
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: pabloeldiablo
My line is estimated to be 53Mb and i only get 33 donw and 7-8 up..  Undecided

And is that tested via ethernet or wireless? And run test via BTW performance test?
mikecrawford71
Dabbler

Openreach are rolling out a firmware update for the modem that seems to change the band plans to give a bit of an increase on the downstream speed (I went from 26 Mbps to 30 Mbps).
This http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4274244-locked-out-of-web-interface-on-hg612-can-telnet-tho... forum thread has a bit of discussion about it.
Can only suspect that you've had the update as well now.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Thanks MC71, that makes a lot of sense. That accounts for the recycle & huge latency drop on 28 Oct.  Smiley