cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in speed and a half hour wait in the phone for support? - Is this the norm?

BrianZebra
Hooked

Sudden drop in speed and a half hour wait in the phone for support? - Is this the norm?

Hello all

Well my BB has dropped from around 16 Mb to less than 0.5 Mb - I am now waiting in a half hour queue to try to find out what is happening?

I only joined last week and now I am questioning the service and support. So, the question is, should I always expect this level of service or is there a specific issue?

The current speed and level of service is not what I have contracted for...

Thanks

Wilf

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Sudden drop in speed and a half hour wait in the phone for support? - Is this the norm?

Phoning PN is always time consuming; disable pop up browser blockers and try CHAT facility.

Additionally use links posted below to help yourself.

BrianZebra
Hooked

Re: Sudden drop in speed and a half hour wait in the phone for support? - Is this the norm?

Thanks - would try chat but it is greyed out? I am I being thick and missing the proper link?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@BrianZebra wrote:
would try chat but it is greyed out?

Do you have any browser extensions enabled? Pop-up blockers, Ad-blockers etc.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing such low speeds. Testing your connection isn't showing any problems. In fact, it seems to suggest the connection is in sync well above the estimates for your line:

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 9.3 18.0
SNR Margin: 6.5 6.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 17812558 730499
Speed: 1215 18741

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2272 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2272
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 86400
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 4800

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6.5 -- 4.5 to 8.5 Available -- --

Looking at your account, it appears you started the online troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net at about 20 past 12 this afternoon, but didn't complete it. Please could you complete the troubleshooter and we'll be able to investigate this matter further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BrianZebra
Hooked

After more than half an hour on the phone I was told that someone at the PlusNet end had set some automated settings incorrectly, while on the call they made some changes (see email quote below) and that should improve it.

Having tested your line today it appears the throughput and speed issues of the connection may be due to a setting being incorrect.  The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is too low for the length of your line. The SNR helps the line to remain stable and unaffected by noise or interference on the line. The higher the setting for SNR, the higher the level of noise can be tolerated. 

I stopped the troubleshooter as it said I needed to try another router, I only have the one you have sent me so I was stymied - either get another router or risk a big bill  from Openreach if it was a fault at my end.

Hopefully it will be better now. Thank you for the response

Wilf 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies for the wait time you experienced.

I'd not noticed the notes on your account when I tested your connection and replied to the thread earlier. Hopefully that has the desired affect, but if you do continue to experience poor speeds, please do let us know so we can investigate that further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BrianZebra
Hooked

Thanks Harry!