cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in performance (split)

helidan
Grafter

Sudden drop in performance (split)

Hi guys, my first post on these forums, v sorry it has to be a bit negative.
Basically...
was with AOHell for a number of years (dial-up then BB) and observed their service slowly getting worse (speeds mostly), so switched to plusnet not that long ago and all was really great up until around 2 weeks ago when my download speeds were seriously reduced.  To restore my expected speeds requires numerous router reboots only for the speed to once again be seriously reduced after approx 1hour.  I'm not sure exactly whats going on with plusnet at the moment but if they're claiming that there is no system fault then I dispute that.
adie:blue split from rant thread and moved to bb speed for maximum visibility mod:end
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sudden drop in performance (split)

To be honest it is unlikely to be Plusnet doing it but lets cover a few of the other possibilities
Are you connected by wireless or wire
What are the present router stats http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php tells you how to get them
When the speeds deteriorate how are you checking them - which speed tester and what are the results
helidan
Grafter

Speed tests are carried out via the main PC (connected via ethernet) but also via wireless devices (laptops, Playstation 3, Wii etc) all showing very similar results.
Router stats as follows:-
Connection speed 8128kbps down/448kbps up, line atten 35.0db down/17.5db up, noise 7.5db down/21.0db up.
Speed reduction is first noticed when simply web browsing, visits to numerous speed test websites all yield very similar results (www.speedtester.bt.com earlier recorded 440k max best effort!!!!)
Starting a simple file download (winamp setup file for example) during this period will attain no more than approx 100-150k download speed.
Youtube, spotify, lastfm, vidzone (PS3) are also quite noticibly affected.
As previously stated rebooting the router temporalily restores the correct speeds but they drop off again within the hour.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

What package are you on and have you gone over your monthly limit?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
helidan
Grafter

on the unlimited package
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Won't be your usage then Cheesy
Suppose it could be a faulty router, did you have a spare one you can test?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
stewartb

Got exactly the same issue.
I used to be a metronet customer and not on the unlimited downalods package, occassionally usage exceeds the limit and it gets traffic shaped between 4pm and midnight - I am 100% fine with this.
However, last minth I exceeded the limit and instead of returning to normal on the 18th July it got worse (SERIOUSLY WORSE).
Between the above times its 62Kb/s as you can see from the below speedtests. Had a call logged with support since the 20th and the only responses so far have been to sell me stuff - really poor customer service after 6 years.
Anyway, gave the ultimatum yesterday for 36 hours to resolve it else it's over to Virgin 50MB - don't mind spending more.
Date 30/07/09 23:33:54
Speed Down 90.25 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 62.44 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com

Date 31/07/09 00:14:09
Speed Down 2464.38 Kbps ( 2.4 Mbps )
Speed Up 377.13 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Got a similar same speed issue, except that mine's irrespective of time of day.
I'm on 21CN - which is supposedly under-loaded.
I haven't exceeded any limits.
I'm on half my BT profile speed.
Strangely, my download speed is approximately the same as yours:-

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@helidan I'd be inclined to agree with @adiewoo on this one, it would be orth you ruling your kit out at this early stage as your actual line looks rock solid (with the exception of what I'm guessing are your router reboots?)
Quote from: stewartb
Got exactly the same issue.
I used to be a metronet customer and not on the unlimited downalods package, occassionally usage exceeds the limit and it gets traffic shaped between 4pm and midnight - I am 100% fine with this.
However, last minth I exceeded the limit and instead of returning to normal on the 18th July it got worse (SERIOUSLY WORSE).

I dealt with another similar issue over the weekend (also a Metronet account) so I'm wondering whether or not there's a wider issue here? I've assigned the ticket on your account to myself so I can take a look into things when I'm back in the office tomorrow.
@Crucibleofevil! I think the 2.4Mbps figure stewartb's quoted is from after midnight when things are working as expected?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stewartb

@Bob Pullen - any news, got the same issues again last night. Have been told to download WireShark and run it alongside but you can probably guess with a lot of my connection at 0.1Mb/s its not the most enjoyable of download experiences.
It is comical that I seem to put up with / expect 2.4MB/s as normal (for an up to 8MB line) - but what the hell eh?
Also, just a tip for the rest of PlusNet staff (if you can pass it on), when a customer complains about poor service then keep trying to sell them a new service (albeit without restrictions) and enter a 12 month contract (where they have 1 month contract) is only ever going to annoy the customer.
I did notice that over the latter part of July there was quite a lot of traffic management changes going through - maybe someone forgot about the poor relations (i.e. old MetroNet customers) and made a mistake...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: stewartb
@Bob Pullen - any news, got the same issues again last night. Have been told to download WireShark and run it alongside but you can probably guess with a lot of my connection at 0.1Mb/s its not the most enjoyable of download experiences.

I've just updated your support ticket, I'll need to carry out some more tests after 4.00pm as I can see anything wrong at this end...
Also, just a tip for the rest of PlusNet staff (if you can pass it on), when a customer complains about poor service then keep trying to sell them a new service (albeit without restrictions) and enter a 12 month contract (where they have 1 month contract) is only ever going to annoy the customer.

Agreed, I'll have a quick word with those who continued to suggest this after you provided further evidence of a problem with your account.
I did notice that over the latter part of July there was quite a lot of traffic management changes going through - maybe someone forgot about the poor relations (i.e. old MetroNet customers) and made a mistake...

I'm not convinced that's the case at the moment as I'd expect far more customers to complain if it was.
Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Got a similar same speed issue, except that mine's irrespective of time of day.
I'm on 21CN - which is supposedly under-loaded.
I haven't exceeded any limits.
I'm on half my BT profile speed.

Have your speeds improved following last night's maintenance at all?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

VileReynard
Hero

Unfortunately, prior to this nodal fix, I did a hard reboot on my router.
Although my speed increased up to the BRAS profile limit - thereby eliminating all record of the fault.
I was due for a profile increase up to 6Mbps (after spending my 3 days in the sin bin).
However, BT punished me on the resync by increasing my noise margin to 9dB, reducing my sync rate by 700Kbps,
knocking me off ADSL2+ so that I'm now in a ADSL2 trial.

So I'm still on a 5.5Mbps profile (but only just) and getting a 5Mbps data rate.
The question is:-
How long will I have to wait to go back to 6dB?
Is the answer a finite value?  Cry

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Crucibleofevil! So aside from the SNR value, has your throughout improved following the work? You were getting about half the throughout weren't you? I notice that the BT Wholesale maintenance doesn't appear to have cured the throughput problems for everybody so I'm wondering whether or not the issues are related to the node you're routed through?
@stewartb, I did some more testing on your line last night after 4pm and I'm struggling to see anything untoward with the traffic management profiling on your account  Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

VileReynard
Hero

Thanks for the interest, Bob
Unfortunately(!) the reboot cured the half speed issue.
I went onto full speed where "full speed" is slightly less than the speed I had before Smiley
So the problem was easy to cure - but at a 700Kbps penalty. Sad