cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in line quality

nicktee
Dabbler

Sudden drop in line quality

Haven't got a terribly fast connection due to where I live, but have always enjoyed rock solid connections with good latency figures.
Had to do several cold resets to the router this week whilst installing a rather uncommunicative print server, now sorted; but due to the number of resets, I expected a drop in connection speed for a while.
Suddenly, my line quality has tumbled, quite a few drops today, and latency has been well up. Had to do a cold reset at one point because router simply would NOT connect, Upload speed has halved as well. Here's my stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 3:55:09
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 455 / 5.395
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 68,41 / 461,49
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28,6 / 49,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13,4 / 6,4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 61 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 298 / 16
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 75 / 295
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 28 / 1.486
Also attached my TBB quality monitor
8 REPLIES 8
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Sudden drop in line quality

Do the resets you've done match up with the packet loss seen on the TBB Graph?
nicktee
Dabbler

Chris, apart from the big one around 4pm they're where the line dropped. Cold resets were earlier in the week and line was fine for a day or two. as an update, overnight it's been OK, but back to very variable latency this morning - up to 80ms.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

OK. It might be worth completing the Broadband Fault Checker at http://faults.plus.net so this gets reported to the Faults Team so we can take a look over the lien for you.
nicktee
Dabbler

Thanks Chris - will do.
nicktee
Dabbler

Looks as if line noise is the prob, so raised a ticket. Latency is getting progressively worse. Taking the opportunity to overhaul my socket to router wiring at the same time though.
nicktee
Dabbler

Just an update, and thanks to PN Support for excellent service received.
PN, after a very helpful and thorough phone call and diagnostics, without treating me as if I was stupid, booked me a BT engineer, but then the quality started to improve slowly - decided I'd still go ahead with the BT visit though, just in case.
BT engineer came as arranged, nice bloke, fiddled around, lots of testing but could not find anything obvious; said it was either an intermittent fault, or something had happened further along the line which had been fixed in the past few days, but he didn't really know - they don't seem to carry a great deal of info, didn't even know that fibre was coming on 31 March. Huh
Amazingly, my line is syncing at its fastest ever - 8.2 Meg, BT linechecker says 5 is the expected for my phone line, and PN supplying "up to 8meg", previous syncs have been in the region of 5.7. Roll on fibre!
Average latency down now to just over 10ms  Smiley
Very happy bunny, don't know what happened , but it was good!
Thanks again to Plusnet Support, many complain when it isn't right, but praise where it's due is my watchword - at least they got moving on it.
thesawdust
Grafter

are you reading FTTC date from sam knows?
nicktee
Dabbler

Yes I am, I know it's not necessarily correct although new BT cabs are starting to appear in the area plus a marked rise in activity at existing ones; I'd expect a BT engineer to have at least some idea though  Smiley