Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in Speeds at around 5pm

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Sudden drop in Speeds at around 5pm

Hi, I raised a ticket yesterday but up to now no one has answered it is ticket [ 32057525 ]. i raised because Sunday evening my speed dropped drastically to 135kbps down and 97 up, On Monday morning all was fine up to my usual 6.5mb, then last night same again and again tonight whilst as I said no problem through the day, I ran a fault test but it came back ok as far as I know, I'm not up on it, i cant understand why just on an evening when for the last two years has been practically trouble free.
I asked in the ticket if there was any known problems in my area, I have only one Bt socket in the property, its the new type with built in filter, it was fitted about two years ago, I have no extensions, the cable goes directly to my computer and a phone plugged in that's it nothing else, the router stats seem fine as far as I can tell, I will try to add a graph I took earlier if I can.
When I log on i have to wait ages to load a page, if someone from support can just check then tomorrow night if its the same I will take my computer down stairs and plug into back of BT socket, I done think that's the problem but something is definitely wrong, by the way I checked which gateway I was on and it came back gateway unknown if that's any help.
Today 17:08  131 kbps (16.4kB/s)  98 kbps (12.3kB/s)  Share
Today 13:54 6548 kbps (819kB/s) 373 kbps (46.6kB/s) Share
Today 09:11 6609 kbps (826kB/s) 373 kbps (46.6kB/s) Share
Today 09:03 6577 kbps (822kB/s) 367 kbps (45.9kB/s) Share
Today 08:55 6588 kbps (824kB/s) 357 kbps (44.6kB/s) Share
Today 07:30 6568 kbps (821kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s) Share
Today 07:30 6563 kbps (820kB/s) 364 kbps (45.5kB/s) Share
Yesterday 19:50 132 kbps (16.5kB/s) 91 kbps (11.4kB/s) Share
Yesterday 19:07 130 kbps (16.3kB/s) 92 kbps (11.5kB/s) Share
Yesterday 16:43 139 kbps (17.4kB/s) 93 kbps (11.6kB/s) Share
Yesterday 07:14 6570 kbps (821kB/s) 349 kbps (43.6kB/s) Share
Yesterday 07:06 6569 kbps (821kB/s) 346 kbps (43.3kB/s)

regards
jono
11 REPLIES 11
jono
Aspiring Pro

Re: Sudden drop in Speeds at around 5pm

Hi i have just come back to computer and the speed is all right now, I checked which gateway I am on and it now says    Which gateway
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 2" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as ptn-ag2.
I think i read an email today about this having trouble, if someone can verify please.
regards
jono
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no it was THN AG2
Was going to say have you got near to your limit and been clamped after 16:00,  but you just spoilt that
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, no I've only used less than a gigabyte of usage so no where near, I only use about 3 or 4 of my allocation a month, I've just gone and removed front of BT socket and plugged a new filter into the back connection of the Bt socket, thought at first that was the problem but removed and replaced the front and just the same, for some reason its shot back to normal.
Will wait and see if the support team get back to me.
Thanks for replying though.
regards
jono
Apprentice
Grafter

Have you checked your exchange status in case there are issues there:-
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
It's not unusual with maaf to have to hop gateways in order to find one that isn't sloooooow  Tongue
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi Yes there is no apparent outage or any other sign of a problem.
regards
jono
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Was it being plugged into the test socket that fixed the slow speeds, or the reboot, or both? Not sure if it's your wiring or you being connected to one of the busier gateways that's been causing the slow speed. If it's the former you could try fitting one of the fitered faceplates that are available, that should remove a lot of the interference from the line.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, I checked the router stats and they looked fine, not that I'm up on routers much. I decided to remove the front of the Bt socket and plug a filter I have directly into the back of it, I then checked and the poor speeds all of a sudden were rectified so O i don't know if it was the reboot or me removing the BT filter that came with the socket, I have immediately put it back the way it was and it still was OK. I couldn't understand why when checking which gateway I was on it came back unknown, also at one point I checked Broadband availability with bt and it came back either I have moved or I'm at a new address, this was rectified later when I checked after rebooting router, I don't know if that's possible but will check tonight to see if my broadband is still  OK.
I'll post back later.
thanks again
John
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@jono you sound like your having the problems im having,almost identical,im in the test socket so will be interesting to see how my speeds fare a bit closer two 5-7,im too got put on an unknown gateway quite a few times and on this unknown gateway speeds were dire,Bought a new router,plusnet sent me a new router,will get too the bottom of this somehow hopefully
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, So Far so good, could I ask if I was on the wrong gateway could it have the affects on my speed I was having ? I don't switch the router off sometimes for 15 to 20 days at a time, when removing the front of the BT socket and fitting a normal filter the router would have rebooted and then when all went well. Having said that this is the first time in two years a speed issue has cropped up. I was having problems last year with disconnections but that was sorted within days. Someone mention above, I think it was one of the plusnet staff about fitting a fascia filter to the socket, I already have the latest built in filter type socket, it was fitted about 2 years ago.
regards
jono
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, I've checked it today and all seems well but will keep an eye on it, One thing though I'm not very happy about reply times to tickets raised, I asked a question about the 5th Feb about a change in BT package and if it would affect my line and got a reply on 8th, I got a reply within  a few hrs posting on the forum. My question about my speed fault i.e. raising a ticket took 2 days. My contract is about up if not already if push comes to shove. I wonder why gateways have become an issue, having to change them by rebooting the router ? after 2 yrs of literally no probs.
regards to all who gave advice
Apprentice
Grafter

I wonder why gateways have become an issue, having to change them by rebooting the router ? after 2 yrs of literally no probs.

The pipes seem to get out of balance more frquently than they used to, well they do on the maaf/PN network.
They keep lighting new segments so you wouldn't think there should be congestion issues if that is the case.

Alastair