Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in IP and max speed

FIXED
eveu
Hooked

Sudden drop in IP and max speed

Having had consistent 2-3mbps for years, a couple of weeks ago the download speed dropped to <0.5

Checked BT wholesale - IP limited to 0.5, but for some reason the acceptable range is suddenly 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps. Before when we had bad weather/noise/whatever I could always see the normal max. 

Achieving 0.5 down, and 0.14 up (from max 0.83)

I left things alone after an initial reboot. Up time now 117 hours.

Line attenuation: 58.5 dB (same as always for copper in the sticks)

Noise margin: 7.3 dB

Is there any reason the acceptable range would suddenly drop other than my paranoia that Openreach are evil and my neighbours have been complaining louder than me so they swapped me to the super-useless line?

10 REPLIES 10
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Sudden drop in IP and max speed

The "acceptable range" always adjusts itself for whatever speed your modem is currently connected at, it has nothing to do with the estimate for your line or what speed your line should be capable of.

eveu
Hooked

That doesn't make me want to scream at the utter pointlessness or anything. 

I don't suppose there is a way for forcing an IP reset?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

The information provided here is not entirely clear. Some of the data clearly came from the router stats, but it rather looks as though the speed info came from the BT speed test. At this juncture we need to examine the sync speed.

It would be helpful to provide the full router stats (copy & paste) including the error counts.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eveu
Hooked

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 15.20.15.png

eveu
Hooked

Sorry - hunting for error rates, and not sure where to look on a netgear d6200. I really don't want to swap out to another router (eg the plus net one) because that will get me back to day one on the drop out count... but happy to take advice from you all

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@eveu wrote:

happy to take advice from you all

I'm guessing that you've checked here to ensure that there's no alternative fibre option open to you? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Have you considered or investigated whether mobile broadband is an option? See https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

What you have even before it went wonky is pathetic.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

OK, that's helpful … it is way low!!  I think we need to go back to basics here, before the PN guys come and give you the same pre-fault report advice.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Is the router in the master socket, or is it connected via some form of extension?

Are there multiple extensions?

If yes, how are they connected to the master socket? daisy-chained one to another or hub & spoke from the master socket?

If yes, is the bell wire connected to terminal 3?

Have you run through the speed trouble shooting guides?  (See link below).

Something is very much not right here and you need to ensure that you have eliminated internal things before engaging with the fault process.  With the reported line attenuation you ought to see 3Mbps synch speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eveu
Hooked

@Baldrick1 sadly fibre goes to the cabinet, but there is too much copper between that and me for anyone to agree to fibre speeds. And mobile is fairly poor. I think it will be easier for me to move back to civilisation...

eveu
Hooked

As an old veteran of BT forums years ago, I have the router direct to the master socket, and no extensions anywhere. Microfilter in place. No fairy lights and power lines next to the phone lines. I try not to touch anything ever. 

I did the quiet test - all fine. But we do occasionally get noise issues when it's been raining heavily for weeks... I often wonder what the other options on 17070 would do. 

Thanks for helping me rule things out though. It's good to know I'm not going mad. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your speeds.

It looks like DLM has banded your speeds so I've put through a reset on your line.

You should see higher speeds shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team