cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden download speed drop

cmww

Sudden download speed drop

Been a Plusnet broadband/phone customer for about 6 months and been generally happy with it (they estimated our line speed at 11 Mbps after 2 weeks). For some reason in the last week we have been getting appallingly slow download speeds pretty much all the time. I've now run the speed check and have posted the results in the screen grab: we are now at 2.62 Mbps! 

Phone line is working fine. Everything else was fine until about a week ago (and we don't have an additional router to use as a test).

Is there anyone who could look into this, or will it require an engineer visit to get it sorted? 

Thanks in advance for the help!

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Sudden download speed drop

@cmww,

That BT speed test looks grim!  Speed tests alone are of limited help when trying to get assistance from other community members and there is a lot of self help you can apply to identify the issue.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Also take a look at the speed issue topic (link below).  At this point I would not worry about not having another router to try - addressing the more usual culprits (line quality, internal wiring and filter) is less expensive than a new router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cmww

@Townman Thanks so much for your help with this!

I'll post all the details below, but I should mention that our speed has been varying a lot over the last few days (sometimes really slow, but at the moment fairly normal). I ran the tests this morning, so they will probably look much more promising (but I'll try again this evening to see if anything changes).

Quiet line test: fine (no noise)

Current line speed:9.2 Mb

BT Wholesale speed test: Download Speed 8.55 Mbps; Upload Speed 0.63 Mbps; Ping latency 142.25 ms

Router stats are in the screenshot attached.

Thanks again!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Those stats indicate that the DLM is managing the line for stability.  SNRM is 9dB (3dB higher than the standard) and the line synch rate is 4Mbps slower than might be expected at the standard for a line of your attenuation in good condition.

For the moment I'd keep an eye on the SNRM figure and keep listening to the line, especially when things appear to be slow.  There is some possibility of there being an intermittent problem with the line here.  The issue with intermittent problems is that they are often not there when some one looks for them!

Does the broadband show problems when calls are made, answered or terminated?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.