Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden decrease in speed

flangeniblic
Dabbler

Sudden decrease in speed

Hi,
My connection has suddenly been limited to downloading at 1250 kbps (it's usually a lot faster than that) even during off-peak. My package is PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1.
This is what BT's test thing said a few minutes ago:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 1250 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3808 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 907 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
I'd like to know why it would suddenly get so much slower AND could this be rectified back to the faster speeds I should be getting?Huh
Many thanks!
18 REPLIES 18
craig_p
Grafter

Re: Sudden decrease in speed

Hi
Im also on prem 1 and have suffered with the same probs for about 6 weeks on and off.  Been  driving me mad but this is one of the problems with max dsl.  BT reduce your speed if it detects a "fault"with your connection.  I live in Sheffield but was not directly affected by the flooding but finally found that water had got into my outside connection box and corroded the connections.  This was sorted out and my speed has gone back to normal after about 4 days. Has anything changed with you wiring in the house or have you added anything to the line?  I left my router on 24/ 7 for a few days to get a max stable rate and my line profile is now back up to 4000 which is good for me Cheesy
Hope this helps
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
As craig says, this is the way MaxDSL works. If your modem/router syncs low with the exchange then the IP profile will be reduced in order to keep a stable connection. I'd advise having a read of this blog by James to see why this happens.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Hi flangeniblic,
I've just tried running a line test on your line to see what your sync speeds are like but unfortunately you're offline so I can't tell.
Looking at the downstream rate on your test, your speeds should hopefully pick up in the next day or so.
flangeniblic
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the replies!
So, my account isn't being throttled back to a 1MB download? Should I wait a few days to see if the download rate goes back up? The sync rate is currently almost 5MB.
James
Grafter

You should and hopefully it will.  If you maintain that sync speed, then maxdsl is designed to recalculate that speed after roughly 3 days.
flangeniblic
Dabbler

Okay - thanks for that!
However, if the speed doesn't increase at all in a few days, I'll be posting again!!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No, you should be raising a ticket to report the fault.
James
Grafter

Peter's right.
You should go to http://faults.plus.net to raise a fault, but we're always happy to chase it for you.
flangeniblic
Dabbler

Okay - I'd like to ask another question if I can: is it possible that my account has somehow been permanently reduced in speed down to 1MB by Plus Net for some reason? It just seems odd to me that the throughput speed has been stubbornly sticking at a 1MB download speed ever since Saturday. There is NO sign of it changing, even after waiting for a few days for it to recover.
Also, coincidentally, this was also just before my new billing month started (and the payment went through later than it normally does, but it did - for PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1, which hasn't been restricted to just 1MB for any of the years I've been using it). I haven't received any e-mails saying that the account has been altered or anything.
The sync speeds are still around 4MB whenever I am connected and have been for the past few days. However, there hasn't been any change at all in the throughput speed during this time. Does it suddenly spring back, and not go up by increments? I've tried the fault test and that said there were no problems. I've done speed tests at different times of the day and they always come up with a 1MB download speed.
I would just like to know what on earth is going on with my connection. Any answers would be gratefully received.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Your throughput speed is governed by the Bras or IP profile speed, which may still be 1000/1250. Until that changes you will see no change in throughput speed.
The change can take 3 -> 5 days so you have to wait longer for the change to be made by BT (Not PlusNet who have no control over the IP profile that BT assign). If after 5 days your IP profile has not changed (which is shown on the portal under connection settings -> high speed broadband) then raise aticket as detailed earlier.
flangeniblic
Dabbler

Okay, but does this IP profile speed make a sudden leap up?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For increases in the IP profile the decision is based on the lowest sync speed achieved in the previous 3 days.  So if a low sync is followed by high values for 3 days the value *can* leap up when the low sync expires.
Note that on the way down it reduces within 75 minutes of the event.
David
flangeniblic
Dabbler

It's strange that I never noticed that the sync speed was low during any time I was logged on. I usually keep the status window open as well, so I should have seen something like that (especially if it went as low as 1MB - I've NEVER seen it that low).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

PN can look at your sync speed history which should show the date and time when the low sync speed event occurred.  Why not ask them to check?
David