cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden and prolonged Drop In Speed

philosopher44

Sudden and prolonged Drop In Speed

Hello everybody,

I have an issue and I thought it best to come on here and get the advice of you fine people.

I have had my broadband with plus net since July of this year, I had an estimated download speed of 13mb and that is the speed I have been getting reliably until a few days ago. I noticed a big increase in load times for netflix etc. and did some speed tests, which gave an average of 2.5mb. I decided to wait a few days to see if it would clear up, but it is still the same. Interestingly it is reliably staying at that speed. I have included a screenshot of my plus net page which shows the original speed estimate and the current speed at 3.5  I also did the two BT broadband tests which I have included a screenshot of as well. I did these tests with a wried connection to the router and no other devices connected to the wi-fi. I am concerned that the best effort speed from BT is now 1.09 as that is so much lower than the reliable 13 which I have been getting and most defninitely lower than the guranteed 3mb I have with my contract. I have also included a screenshot of my router information.

It seems like there must be something wrong somewhere here and any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
philosopher44

Re: Sudden and prolonged Drop In Speed

I have just done a DSL check as well, attached picture to this post

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It makes life easier if you insert pictures inline rather than attaching them. The current forum software leaves a lot to be desired.

2017-11-14 (1).png

philosopher44

No problem, I have inserted them here

bt test 2.jpgBT test.jpgCurrent Line Speed.jpgdsl.jpgrouter.jpg

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@philosopher44,

It makes life easier if you just copy and paste the text into the posts rather than posting images of the screen - attached or inserted.

Something is odd here!

@Gandalf - why is the synch speed so low for this 36dB attenuated line please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems.

Testing the copper line I'm detecting a high resistance fault, which is sometimes caused by internal wiring.

I'd recommend running through the checks in the broadband troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net completing the process to report the fault to us if you need to as it's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer visit.

When you get to the part which asks you to check your phone line, if you don't have a phone handset, I'd just select the option which indicates "I can hear a dial tone and the line is clear" as the type of issue I've detected is a broadband fault.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
philosopher44

Hi Gandalf,

Many thanks for replying with your advice. I shall go through the troubleshooter now and see what it says.