Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Speed Drop

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Sudden Speed Drop

Just reporting a sudden drop in download speed to 200 b/s. It had been running happily for nearly a fortnight at a reduced speed of 1.44 Mb/s after the last series of sudden line drops, so when I saw my IP address had changed I expected to see a slight increase, but instead 440/200! The router logs showed another batch of frequent drop out over the last hour.

I have rebooted my router and recovered a decent speed (though still half what I'm used to), so no action is needed if it stays up, but I'm really getting annoyed with the DLM which seems completely incapable of distinguishing trouble on the line from a line in trouble. I don't know where these occasional bursts of disconnections come from, but it can't be general low quality when the line normally stays up for weeks. Either there is occasional work on the lines or occasional electrical interference, but it's annoying to have the speed decimated every time it happens.

I wish we had proper competition in this industry where companies could compete on quality and not just price.

No, it's dropped twice more in the last 10 minutes. Really annoying!

And an hour after my first post and contacting customer support by chat, I've had two more disconnections but my speed's gone up a little. This is confusing!

Update: 10:40am 25/1/18 -- no broadband when booted up. Took the opportunity to reconnect via Test socket. Speed about half normal, but still experiencing multiple drops.

4 REPLIES 4
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Sudden Speed Drop

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry you're still experiencing slow speeds and drops in connection.

I've raised a ticket on your account which should help, you can find it here:

Having reviewed your connection I'd be inclined to suggest that you're experiencing a wifi issue but the troubleshooting I've sent will help you to identify and resolve this accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Best Wishes,

Dave

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Link fixed.

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks, but I only use wifi about once a week to update my laptop. The rest of the time wifi is turned off at the router. My main machine is connected by good ol' Ethernet.

The link to the ticket still doesn't work. I get an error page with a link to "the wizard", which shows only the ticket I opened a week ago.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. Apologies for the link Dave's provided you, looks like the ticket number doesn't relate to your account. I've let him know for future reference. Smiley

I can see your connection is heavily dropping out:

As per the response in ticket here I'd recommend raising a fault to us here

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @kjpetrie

Sorry to see you are experiencing drops in your connection, which can see on our side.

If you have followed the steps highlighted here, and you are still experiencing drops in connection, we would advise to raise it to our faults team for further investigation. You can do that by clicking here. Smiley Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team