Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-standard performance on Pro/PAYG

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sub-standard performance on Pro/PAYG

There's a few people reporting inexplicably slow performance on Plusnet Pro or PAYG, both of which should be largely immune from slowdowns. To see if there is a pattern could people post to this topic if they are seeing this. As far as possible lets keep discussion in this topic to a minimum and continue using existing topics (or start new topics) so that users individual issues can be tracked in a single place. This topic should therefore be just a summary.
Could you provide the following information (Plusnet Pro or PAYG users only):
  • Results from a My Broadband Speed when the service is bad
  • Recent results from My Broadband Speed when the service is at its best (off-peak best result please so we can tell how much it slows down)
  • Any archived speed test results which show how fast your line should go
  • Results from BT speedtest
  • Current line speed shown by https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
  • Have you moved over to 21CN/ADSL2+
  • The VP status for your exchange shown by the exchange checker
  • Any comments you'd like to make about what you are seeing
  • A link to the topic where your problems are being discussed

Edit: I'm going to update this post with a list of the users who appear to be affected (not all have posted to this topic)
    chesterfield
    bazdc2 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81852.0.html
    Footys
    martin2006
    clarkec321
    treg103 (confirmation as being Pro user received by PM)
    rapalla (similar symptoms on Premier option 1)
    Jarvo http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81546.0.html
    Thredz http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81886.msg672162.html#msg672162
    munkimatt
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    269 REPLIES 269
    Footys
    Grafter

Re: Sub-standard performance on Pro/PAYG

Will do an off peak test tomorrow morning.
    My exchange is showing as green
    Current line speed as shown by plusnet is 4000
    Bt Speedtest = 484kbps
    chesterfield
    Grafter

Heres mine tonight:

And here it is just a few days ago right in peak time:

Router stats:
    ADSL Link........................Downstream.......................Upstream
    Connection Speed..........7520 kbps.........................448 kbps
    Line Attenuation.....................33.0 db............................17.0 db
    Noise Margin..........................7.7 db...............................18.0 db

BT speedtest result at peak:
    Download speedachieved during the test was - 517 Kbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
    Additional Information:
    Your DSL Connection Rate :7712 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
    Current line speed 7150
    Not on 21CN
    VP status is red - but has been for months - never affected me.
    Problem started only a few days ago - everything was perfect until then.
    martin2006
    Grafter

my worst speed test ever, a new record, note ping of over 200, usually 26 at best to this site, didnt have any connection at all a few nights ago.
    sorry didnt read all your original post, my profile is 8128 nornally. speed test tthis morning also shown below at 6727
    exchange is green. link below to other discussion
    http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=80799.new;topicseen#new
    Be3G
    Grafter

Please note that I've removed a couple of posts from this thread (albeit with the poster's permission) as they concerned a different broadband product to the ones under discussion here. Posts in this thread should only be about one of the following products:

• Broadband Pay As You Go

• Broadband Your Way Pro

• Plusnet Pro

If you're having speed problems and are not using one of those three products, please consider starting a new thread of your own or joining in on another thread that's applicable to your problem/product. Thanks.
    Spider
    Grafter

Although occassionally I have suffered a slow down, this morning being the case in point, I have not experienced the same levels of problems that others have. I am currently on BBYW Pro Max Premium. I was wonder if paying for premium was giving additional benefits on the network apart from a greater upload speed. For me usually a change of gateway resolves the speed issues. Just another possibility thrown in the melting pot to get this resolved for everybody.
    chesterfield
    Grafter

Thanks for the time on the phone today John.  It was an interesting chat.
    Just as another point we thought of - could those having the problem advise what their logon domain is?
    i.e. ********@plus.net, or *******@plusdsl.net
    Mine is "plus.net"
    clarkec321
    Dabbler

Am on 'Your Way Pro' and have posted in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81849.0.html
    Here is 3 mybroadbandspeedtest - at hardly peak times of the day

My router is the standard PN D-Link 2640B and the stats are:

Have followed a few steps as advised in the previously mentioned thread
    It says
    You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 6" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag1
    Have powered down and left for 5 mins
    Booted back up and it says (although I've been on 2 or 3 gateways the past 3-4 days of this problem, and it hasn't had a positive effect on the results)
    And these are the new router stats

and I'm "You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 5" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag2"
    Have just left it alone for a few hours and have just got this mybroadbandspeed result

Any help or advice would be much appreciated - and is in fact greatly needed
    Thankyou
    chesterfield
    Grafter

Clarkec321, what is your domain - i.e. what do you use to connect your router/modem - mine is chesterfield@plus.net.  Is yours plus.net, plusdsl.net or something else?
    treg103
    Dabbler

Hi all,
    Just registered on this site since I've been experiencing exactly the sort of problems being discussed here. About 3 days ago I've gone from being able to reliably download at 400 - 500 KBps (4Mbps) to max of about 50KBps (400Kbps). These speeds also seem to echo results from various broadband speed testers, including the mybroadbandspeedtest and speedtester.bt.com.  I phoned PlusNet support this evening and was told that their network, the exchange and my line all looked absolutely fine to them and it was potentially my router. I'll be trying to beg and borrow one from the neighbors but they aren't around at the moment so I can't test that theory.
    According to the PlusNet site my current line speed is 6500, which is pretty close to my routers report of 7328Kbps, the VP status for my exchange is green and has been for some time, and my domain is @plusdsl.net.
    [Edit]
    I've been on the Pro account for the last few weeks having upgraded from the value account. Everything was fine up until a few days ago.
    rapalla
    Grafter

I live in rural Aberdeenshire less than 1 km from our local exchange.  I have been very fortunate in that I used to get 6-6.5 megs offpeak,  dropping
    to 4-4.5 at peak times.  However in recent days I get large fluctuations during offpeak and in the evenings it has dropped down to between 300-500k.
    Something has happened to disturb the peace for sure.
    Sad
    martin2006
    Grafter

Quote from: chesterfield
    Thanks for the time on the phone today John.  It was an interesting chat.
    Just as another point we thought of - could those having the problem advise what their logon domain is?
    i.e. ********@plus.net, or *******@plusdsl.net

i input @plusdsdl.net when i run bt speedtester if that helps
    martin2006
    Grafter

my speedtest as of 00.12 hrs, hardly what i would call peak, is 2200kbps, which is what i would call CENSORED!!!!!
    chesterfield
    Grafter

Heres mine at just gone half past midnight.

I think its becoming clear that there was s change on the network on or around 4/5 days ago that has caused a number of us to start seeing these errors.  What was initially looking like my issue with a busy exchange now looks to be considerably more wisespread.  The login domain and its routing seems not to be the difference which is one more thing ruled out.
    I think we need to look at the differences between a connection not suffering (Jelv) and one that is (anyones here including mine).  Once we can list the differences, we need to look at the changes PN have made on or around the time we all started suffering this issue and PN can then move to fix it.
    Conceding there is actually a fault rather than having us all trying to resolve this individualy would be a start....
    Ive been searching through the status updates for anything relating to the time this fault started appearing, which, going by my last "good" speed test, appears to be on or around the 8th of December, and I found this one:
    Planned Transit Maintenance - Tuesday 8th December 2.30pm-5.00pm
    When's this work happening?
    This afternoon, 8th December.
    What does it affect?
    The route some of your traffic takes across the Internet.
    How long will it take?
    About fifteen minutes.
    What does the work involve?
    We will be routing some customer traffic via a newly established peering arrangement.

Is there any more detail available, as this is looking the most likely suspect for now.
    It appears as those affected are having all their traffic either classed as bronze, or unclassified at all - hence the enormous drop at peak time.
    martin2006
    Grafter