cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck with very low IP Profile

dburton

Stuck with very low IP Profile

Something seemed to cause issues with my line last Wednesday leading to very low sync speeds for several hours during the day. I exacerbated the issue by restarting the router several times (which I now realise was just seen by the system as even more issues on the line, so it was exactly the wrong thing to do). The result of that seems to have been to lower the IP Profile on the line to 0.14Mbps. The issue went away after a few hours and the line went back to the usual sync speed and stability, but real download speeds were very very low. When speeds didn't improve after a few days I also changed all the filters, which does seem to have increased the sync speed from the usual ~1700Kbps to 2400Kbps.
It's now 4 days later and the BT wholesale tester site is still reporting an IP Profile of 0.14Mbps:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.4 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
Modem stats currently:
                            Upstream      Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)  448           2400
Max Rate (Kbps)      1144          2528
SNR Margin (dB)      22             12.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 31.5           51.9
Errors (Pkts)            0               0
I know that if I call up the phone support they are going to go through the usual script of trying new a new modem, trying it plugged into the master socket and trying new filters, but all of that will involve further disconnections which will make the line look unstable again, at which point I'll probably be told that since the line was unstable I have to wait another 3-5 days…
My understanding is that after large drop like this the IP profile should recover more quickly (hours rather than 4+ days). Can something be done to reset the system? It sounds like a SNR reset would reset the ip profile as well since I'm on ADSL1.

EDIT: after contacting phone support this seems to have been resolved.