cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on G.DMT?

Preserver

Stuck on G.DMT?

Hey all,
When using another provider I had the option to sync my router using ADSL2+ on the 21CN network. I then moved to BT and was put on a G.DMT service probably for stability reasons. I would like to switch back to ADSL2+ if that's possible?  I have a friend who lives nearby who recently also moved back onto ADSL2+ and get's better sync speeds as a result. I've only been migrated over a few days, do I need to wait for any line settling period?  or does that not matter on a migration?
Many thanks for any replies.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Stuck on G.DMT?

While we are  waiting for this to be picked up by staff tomorrow can you help a little
Can you post the stats from the router - noise margin, speed and attenuation
What does this say about WBC on 21CN http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
A migration is normally like for like and the only reason you are on G.DMT is usually because you are on 20CN as a Plusnet router would usually report it as being ITU-T G.992.1 or 2 or 3 if you were on 21CN
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The TG582 reports this on 20CN:
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Preserver

Exchange info :-
Colour: Green 20CN VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
Colour: Green BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN
Colour: Unknown You can view recent Service Outages for this exchange here
Colour: Unknown BT have published Max DSL upgrade information for this exchange
Click here for further details
Line Stats - I use my own Draytek router, set to multi mode so will pick up whatever is offered, currently G.DMT but I have seen it on ADSL2+ with other providers.
Mode State   Up Speed    Down Speed  SNR Margin Loop Att.
  G.DMT SHOWTIME     480000             1984000           4                   62
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is it actually 480,000 or 448,000
If 448 then you are definitely on ADSL1 but whether you are on 20CN or 21CN only Plusnet can definitely say
@Jelv
Thanks - in the dim and distant past on 20CN it was reported as G.DMT although I have no idea which router I was using at that time
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's quite likely you're on 21CN ADSL1 with uncapped upstream. Plusnet tend to keep longer lines on ADSL1 with the fairly tautological reasoning that they might perform worse on ADSL2+. Of course saying they might be worse on ADSL2+ is always true, but you could just as easily say they might be worse on ADSL1 compared to switching them to ADSL2+.
In my experience, ADSL1 might achieve the highest line speed, but ADSL2 has better error correction. My exchange doesn't seem to do an auto fall back from ADSL2+ to ADSL2 so I get a better speed if I select ADSL2 at my end rather than leaving it on auto which ends up on ADSL2+.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Running the BT diagnostic speed test gives a definitive answer. If it reports downstream only you are on 20CN, if it reports both up and down you are on 21CN.
Edit: Example of 20CN test attached - I'm on Max Premium hence the faster upload.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You beat me to it  Wink
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: ejs
My exchange doesn't seem to do an auto fall back from ADSL2+ to ADSL2 so I get a better speed if I select ADSL2 at my end rather than leaving it on auto which ends up on ADSL2+.

A quick check on the frequency "bins" in use would be a good indicator. My 61.9dB line (4.53km) seldom used bins above 150, so didn't get anywhere near the additional ADSL2+ bins, and achieved highest sync and data rates by forcing/selecting ADSL2*. ADSL2+ was next to unusable on my line, due to errors causing repeats and line drops.
Phil
* I was only able to "compare" with 20CN ADSL1 as I could not get ADSL1 to work when moved to 21CN - it would repeatedly appear to sync (based on lights) and then immediately drop the connection Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anotherone
Champion

I think it's probably a case of suck it and see with a lot of very long lines, and a lot can depend on the chipsets involved at the exchange as well as the modem/router and its firmware. Whilst on paper ADSL2 would seem potentially beneficial, I've seen cases where there wasn't the stability and it needed to set to ADSL1.
Preserver

Pic attached, I am on 21CN.  Ignore the terrible speeds, multiple things were running at the time  (skype etc.)  usually get speeds that match my IP profile.
I think it would be worth giving ADSL2 a try as I never had any major issues when I was on it before but there is something to be said for stability over speed.  I guess it really is a case of suck it and see!  Do I need to wait for a mod here to pick it up?  or chuck a ticket their way?
Many thanks for all the useful replies so far.  Great community  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

It won't be a mod, they are customers just like you and I. It will be one of the CRT (Customer Relations Team), they'll probably pick it up tomorrow.
Hey and I see we all forgot to say welcome to the forum  Wink
JTaylor
Grafter

Morning Preserver
I've had a glance over this for you and placed the right orders to move you onto ADSL2+. The orders should complete within 24 working hours.
I hope this helps but if you have any more bother with this get back to us.
Preserver

Thanks for this, upload speeds much improved as a result which really helps with the two of us using the connection on an evening!