Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck bRAS?

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Stuck bRAS?

Stuck bRAS???
I though stuck bRAS  was a thing of the past – do such things still happen?  Is this why my speeds are down?
Now I don’t fall into the ‘severe’ speed reduction bracket as mentioned by Barry Zubel but…
RouterStats tell me I’m synced to my local exchange at 4672 and have been for some time.  Now I would have expected to be downloading at 3500 to 4000 kbps but I never reach 3000 kbps irrespective of the time of day.  Plusnet reports my current line speed as 4000
Kitz equates a sync speed of 4672 with a maximum throughput of 4000, which as I say is a fair bit more than what I’m getting.
Is something ‘stuck’ and if so can it be gently bumped? (or are all these numbers confusing me and everything is fine?)
Reading about the poor speeds some others are getting I feel quite awkward asking this but I did use to get better speeds…
I’m on BBYW Option 1 with 5 GB data transfer.  I recently changed my product and whilst I’m saving a couple of quid a month I’m not too sure whether that was a good move.  I don’t ‘think’ that’s causing my speed problem though…
Incidentally I find eBay has become very slow, especially in the evenings, is it my connection or are they having speed problems as well?
As usual any input welcome.
Thanks,
John
11 REPLIES 11
SparckZero
Grafter

Re: Stuck bRAS?

John,
Would you be able to run a BT Speedtest (http://speedtester.bt.com) and post the results here for us to have a look at?
Instructions on how to use the BT Speedtester are here: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/using-the-revised-bt-speedtester/
WelshWarrior
Grafter

Welcome to my World!
I am sync'd at 8128. Portal and BTSpeedtester report line speed of 7150 but I can't even get near to 1meg speeds 😞
James
Grafter

@PNnewbie
It's not a stuck bRAS issue.  Your profile at both our and BTs end is set to 4000KBps, which I would expect you to see 3500-3700 at best.  I appreciate that you're not seeing that currently.
Dave tells me that he almos managed to balance our network by around 1:30am (after starting work at 9am the previous day), so it's possible that you may see a slight improvement.
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for the replies.
This 'problem' has been around for ages, it's not something that appeared a couple of days ago...  I know lots of punters would love to be downloading at 2500 - 2800 - it's just annoying as I used to get much better results...
BT SpeedTester reports:-
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2630 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4672 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps
Thanks
John
jazz
Grafter

@PNewbie  Your experience is not uncommon.  My IP Profile on BT Tester is 3000 and I synch at 3776 but PlusNet mark my current line speed as 2500 so I actually only achieve about 2270.  This seems to happen when your IP profile increases (which is a slow process anyway) but the increase does not get mirrored at Plusnet.  It was happening a lot about 15 months ago with the messages on the Forum then but the problem  seems to have come back again lately.
James
Grafter

Re:Stuck bRAS?

Hi Jazz,
I've aligned your profile with BTs.
jazz
Grafter

Thank you very much for that James  Smiley
What will we do without you?  Sad
Good Luck in your new job and thank you for all your help in the past.
mgwilliam
Grafter

I am now experiencing the same problem with PN reporting line profile at 4000 and BT Speedtest saying 5000 which is the norm.
Ticket has been raised (No. 30662464) and I have requested that PN correct the position. There has been further correspondence but it seems that they are unable to act on this simple request. Result is my line is effectively being throttled with download speed on 3 November of 4564kbps and today it is 3439kbps.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I would respond further to the ticket and point out to the agent who responded that as the comms team seem quite capable of dealing with such issues, if the agent in question is is unable or would it be unwilling? to deal with it he should pass it to someone who can. This sort of thing does PN's name no good what so ever.
mgwilliam
Grafter

Finally got some action very late last night and things are now where they should be.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Stuck bRAS?

Good to hear that the profiles match now, sorry it wasn't acted on straight away on your ticket. I'll feed this back to the agent in question.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.