Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck bRAS profile?

phj
Dabbler

Stuck bRAS profile?

Hi,
After having a fault on my telephone line, my Internet speed slowed to a crawl. The fault on my line has now been fixed after a BT engineer visit on Friday. Sadly my Internet speed has not increased at all and remains as bad as when the telephone line fault was present.
My router was connecting at around 0.4 meg with the fault on the line, this has now increased to 2.4 meg post fault rectification. However, my Internet throughput speed is a mere and unusable 0.12 meg on download, upload has remained unaffected throughout. Pings are dreadful too, 150ms and higher on most occasions. I wonder whether my bRAS profile has got stuck? Could someone manually intervene and reset it?
And yes, I have restarted my router, checked phone sockets, filters etc. already.
Many thanks,
Peter Jones
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Stuck bRAS profile?

Hi Peter,
I've just taken a look at your connection and can confirm that your bRAS is set correctly at 2000. Your Speed Profile set on our systems is correct too. Can you reproduce the speeds you're getting on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com including 'Further Diagnostics'? This should upload the results over to us so that we can take a more in-depth look at things for you?
phj
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not at home at the moment, I will do as you suggest as soon as I am back.
Thanks again,
Peter Jones
phj
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
I have done (well partially) the test you have suggested. I am getting d/l of 0.23 Mbps and u/l of 0.34 Mbps on the BT Wholesale test - dreadful! IP profile confirmed at 2 Mbps, 2.4 Mbps downstream and 0.45 Mbps upstream.
I have tried the further diagnostics test as suggested, my router connected using the BT speedtest username provided, my IP address, gateway and primary DNS all altered so a connection was accepted by the speedtest server. However, despite numerous tries and reboots the 'test3' server could not be found, it simply times out.
Please advise Chris!
Thanks very much,
Peter Jones
phj
Dabbler

Update:
Out of curiosity I have just done another BT Wholesale speed test, it has now jumped to where I would expect it 1.9 Mbps downstream - better!
It seems disconnecting from plusnet's server, connecting to the BT wholesale speedtest server, then back to plusnet's has fixed whatever fault existed.
I'll keep monitoring the situation and report back if anything changes for the worse.
Peter Jones
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks Peter, for letting me know.
Keeping an eye on things and let us know if you have any further issues.