cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck at 128kbps

paulby
Grafter

Re: Stuck at 128kbps

It's actually quite good if there's nothing of note in there - it means that you probably haven't lost the connection since you restarted the router.
What is the router reprting as its downstrean connection speed now?
Denzil
Grafter

But doesn't tell me what might have happened before, of course. Still nothing of note in the log. The router currently shows a sync rate of 992kbps, but still gettingabout 126kbps actual download speed.
paulby
Grafter

It can take 3-5 days for your IP profile to go back up.
If you continue to sync at 992 you should get an IP profile of 750 (see here about half way down the page).
Once your profile has risen, your throughput should increase from 126kbps.
rsnooks
Grafter

I am on the Broadband Premier option that gives me a Bandwidth Cap of 40GB a month.
I am only 1 week into this months billing period and have used less than 1GB of my allowance.
After speaking with Plus.net via support ticket, they have confirmed my fears.
"Plus.net are unable to do anything about this issue"
Great.
Did Plus.net have to bribe for those uSwitch awards?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@denzil
The BT system is now showing a profile of 750, can you reboot your router and see if the speeds are any better?
@rsnooks
I'm having a look at your account now, it's highly likely it was simply a low sync that caused your IP Profile to drop, as long as you are syncing higher again the profile will increase itself in 3 days.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

As suspected, there was a low sync on the 14th, looking at the events since then your line has been stable at around 6Mb so the profile should increase in the next 24 hours or so. If it doesn't the next step it to push this to BT as a fault.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rsnooks
Grafter

I was told that it would've resolved itself yesterday, this didnt happen.
Now your telling me to wait another 24 hours?
Then tomorrow you will tell me to wait another 24 hours... Then another.
Chris
Legend

I'm sorry you aren't happy with it, but that unfortunately is the nature of IPStream Max. The speeds can and do vary and when they drop it takes 3-5 days for them to increase again.
rsnooks
Grafter

Its not the fact that my speed has dropped.
Its the fact that it has dropped to a speed of 128kbs (ISDN).
Hello? Someone called from the 1980's. They wan't their technology back.
zubel
Community Veteran

Perhaps it would be advantageous to determine why you had a low sync event.
In my experience, this is almost always, (read: 99.99% of cases) a problem within the customers premises.
The 135K profile is the lowest BT profile and will take 3-5 days to increase again.  Any ISP that resells the BT IPStream product suffers from this design unfortunately.
B.
rsnooks
Grafter

It is definately not a problem with my setup.
(I work as an infrustucture analyst for local government)
Apparantly it is my Exchange, but talking to BT is like talking to a brick wall.
Just spoke to someone on their customer services team who asked "What is an exchange?"
I hung up.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rsnooks,
I've just done some tests on your line and it appears, going from the results, that your exchange randomly assigned you a profile without any possible relevance to your sync rate.
As such I'm raising this as a fault for you now, I'll put the details on the open ticket on your account.
Sorry for the hassle and that this wasn't spotted earlier.
rsnooks
Grafter

Many thanks.
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: rsnooks
It is definately not a problem with my setup.
(I work as an infrustucture analyst for local government)
Apparantly it is my Exchange, but talking to BT is like talking to a brick wall.
Just spoke to someone on their customer services team who asked "What is an exchange?"
I hung up.

talking of b.t i rang them up to raise a fault on my sisters broadband. passed on from departemet to department all in india they didnt know anything about broadband but the point i put the phone down was when i said she had paid the 120 POUNDS to get the line connected to later get a reply i know your sister has paid 120 DOLLARS. i pointed out to the india call centre that the u.k is paying there wages and to have respect as to where on the map and what currency we deal in. and put the phone down. like banging your head against brickwall more like a reforced bank vault.
any way googled and found a cheat instead of choicing an option from the menu press something like the star or hash key it put me staright to an english billing centre which then passed me to the broadband english centre sorted me out in 5 mins
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
@denzil
The BT system is now showing a profile of 750, can you reboot your router and see if the speeds are any better?

Tried that, tried a different router, tried connecting straight to the test socket, still 128kbps :(. The router is currently showing a sync rate of 1088.
@rsnooks
"What is an exchange?" Deary me. Like going to a mechanic who asks, "what's an engine?"