cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck Profile?

rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Stuck Profile?

Just wondering, do I have a stuck profile (ticket number: 86944987)? I've been syncing at 65 for a week now but the throughput is only maxing out at 56. Shouldn't I be getting at least close to 63 (96.7% of 65)?
I've been having problems with low sync ever since I've moved in recently (around 45) but the issues has been sorted. So I'm wondering if any plusnet staff can give me a follow up on the ticket.
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
xreyuk
Grafter

Re: Stuck Profile?

Have you checked the current line speed in your Plusnet profile?
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Yes it says 63.2. I'm using a unlocked HG612, sync shows 65 so 63.2 should be correct but speed tests show only 56 max (BT speedtest and speedtest.net).
One other thing, I've never managed to check what profile I'm on with the BT speedtest site. Always says ....an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service blah blah blah. Always worked at old house.
xreyuk
Grafter

The Plusnet profile usually automatically tracks the BT one (I say usually because sometimes it doesn't).
How long have you had your service? I couldn't get readings from the BT speed tester until I'd been connected for 14 days.
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

About 3 months.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi evoGage,
I've just taken a look at your line and can see that your line stats are as shown below:
Downstream Speed: 65.3 Mbps 
Upstream Speed: 19.7 Mbps 
I've updated your Speed Profile set on our side to 65Mb. If the sync rate has changed recently, it can take around 24 hours for the IP Profile to update.
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Thanks Chris! So leave the modem connected then or shall I reboot it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem.
Leave the modem connected, but feel free to restart the router for the speed change to take effect.
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Sorry to bring this up again. Line was on fast path for like 6 days or so but yesterday there were some sort of interference nearby I think which caused a lot of sudden burst of crc and es errors. This resulted in being interleaved and lower sync as of this morning.
My question is, do profiles automatically adjust close to sync speed or do I have to request every time? Reason I ask is it seems to be the latter always.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

FTTC DLM doesn't work on the fly as it does on ADSL. ADSL DLM can move about relatively freely, whereas FTTC DLM only makes changes overnight.
Without going into too much detail (as I've written a guide already here: http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/ ) is that FTTC DLM takes 15 minute snapshots of your line every day.
Based on this data, at around midnight, it gets analysed, this checks to see what, if any changes are required to be made to DLM. Between 3am=-5am, the changes are made to your line. If, for example your sync drops during the day and you get an improved sync rate as a result, the IP Profile won't update until the 3am-5am window.
As it stands at the moment, DLM see's your line as unstable, so it could be that it's awaiting better stability before correcting the profiles.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Chris
Are there any documents available referring to the delay on IP profile changes on FTTC as I was under the impression - unlike DLM - that it was instantaneous based on the current sync speed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There isn't unfortunately, I'm going off the information the Openreach guys passed onto me a month or two back.
If/when information like this is available, I'll try and point you in the direction. As BT OR are looking at pretty much rebuilding the way that FTTC DLM works, I think the IP Profile will probably work in the way that you've described - it makes more sense, right?!
rogeryeung88
Dabbler

Thanks for the interesting read Chris, although the re-sync happened at 8:30 and not 3-5am. Also for the first time ever, the BT speedtest profile check is working after todays drop, odd.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah, I'm unsure then if the re-sync at 8:30 was caused directly by DLM.