cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck Profile - and Interleaving question

WWWombat
Grafter

Stuck Profile - and Interleaving question

I was just checking out our account, and deciding whether to change package to one of the newer ones (separate topic).
Now, it's been a while since I looked at the state of my line, even though I have something that collects the line statistics regularly, but I was a little surprised to see that my profile rate had dropped to 6000 for the last year (had been 6500 for ages before that)
The connection speed seems to have been absolutely stable at 7616 down, and 448 up. But the profile rate dropped from 6500 to 6000, and doesn't seem to have ever restored.
Can we give it a flick?
I also wondered whether we should try removing the interleaving too. Does anyone reckon the line stats below will live with it?
That's a 4 day slice of the stats, but it shows a pretty average set of data.
I figure the steps in the downlink noise margin must be a neighbour's ADSL being turned on & off. I haven't found anything in our house that switches at the same time, and you can get a week or two go by where it doesn't step down at all.
Cheers,
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
20 REPLIES 20
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Stuck Profile - and Interleaving question

What IP Profile does the BT speedtester show? I assume the value you quoted came from here in the Member Centre.
Does your router almost always sync at 7616kbps? Removing interleaving might allow that to go higher. One needs to be aware of error rates to form an opinion on whether removing interleaving is likely to have a detrimental effect on throughput.
Has your exchange been enabled for 21CN? The current Plusnet Premium and Pro products offer up to 20Mbps ADSL2+ where 21CN is available.
David
WWWombat
Grafter

Interesting... The BT Speedtester showed 6500 - and yes, the 6000 came from the member centre (either that link, or the old one that used an action of the stable rate).
Why the difference between the two? They ought to track each other, shouldn't they? Well, they used to...
The router always syncs at 7616, and I don't suffer from disconnections - unless I reboot it because something funny is happening on the LAN side. I had a connection time of just over 4 months last summer.
On the error front, I just started up RouterStats (it's been a while), and got these figures out. It's a Netgear 834GT.
[tt]
SF:              6095634
SF Errors:        32
Reed Solomon:    414339895
RS Corrected:    8711
RS Un-corrected:  283
HEC:              29
Errored Seconds:  25
Severe ES:        0
Interleave Depth: 16
And totals of
CRC:  32
LOS:  0
LOF:  0
ES :  25
[/tt]
They look to be over a 28 hour period. I guess that's about 1 error per hour... doesn't sound too bad 😉
Our exchange is due to go 21CN in the next 6 weeks. It is what made me start considering the impact of changing service in the first place! It was one of the early exchanges with ADSL originally, almost 10 years ago, and I was the first to be turned on there, but has been a bit slower on this round.
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WWWombat,
I can't see any updates on BTs side since November, which in part is a good thing (it means your connection rarely if ever reconnects so is very stable) but also in part means your profile won't update.
We could remove interleaving, it looks like your line would be fine without - this might also force a refresh of the BT profile that we could then match on our side.
If that doesn't help we could try for an SNR reset but as that starts the 10 day training period again I suggest that we leave that as a last resort sort of thing if the removal of interleaving doesn't sort things out.
Another thing that might work (if you don't want interleaving off) would be to deliberately resync the router once a day or so, preferably late morning, in order that the exchange picks up resyncs at a higher speed and uplifts the profile to match. This should happen within a few days.
Hope that helps, it should certainly offer some options anyway. Please let us know if there's anything we can do.
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
I've looked at the line stats today, and not seen much - so I think I'll go with turning off interleaving, and see what happens.
Can you do it from this, or should I raise a ticket?
Cheers,
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

With interleaving off you might just get a maximum 8128kbps sync. Fingers crossed. Smiley
David
WWWombat
Grafter

Hoping so too.  Lips_are_sealed
Plusnet Customer
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll go place the order now for you, if it causes problems we can put it back on the next working day.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks Chris, Already got some of the emails about this.
Mike
Plusnet Customer
Chris
Legend

Should have completed this morning, how's it been performing so far?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
WWWombat
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Went through at about 2:30 this morning.
The connection restored at 8128, and has stayed up since then. The line stats over yesterday & today are attached.
I haven't attached RouterStats yet (it interferes with my other graph) to see the CRC details, so can't tell if it is happy, or just on the edge.... I'll check those out later.
However, my profile doesn't seem to have changed yet. At BT is seems to be 6500, and at PN it seems to be 6000.
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
Chris
Legend

They're both at 6500 now Wink
WWWombat
Grafter

LOL. Some magic happened  Grin
I guess if I want the BT end to notice, I either have to wait (just in case 1 year wasn't enough), or do as Matt suggests - keep resetting once per day, or go back to a new training period.
Mike
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Here's a snapshot of the Detailed line stats.
I'm mainly watching the CRC, ES (and SES) and SFErr figures. They look higher than I was getting just before the switch, but they don't look like anything to be concerned about right now.
I guess these figures cover around 1 day...
[tt]
# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Status: Showtime  Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps
Link Power State: L0                                                                 
Mode:                  G.DMT                                                       
Channel:                Fast                                                         
Trellis:                ON                                                           
Line Status:            No Defect                                                   
Training Status:        Showtime                                                     
                Down            Up                                                   
SNR (dB):      9.3            22.0                                                 
Attn(dB):      30.0            19.0                                                 
Pwr(dBm):      19.8            11.9                                                 
Max(Kbps):      8960            1048                                                 
Rate (Kbps):    8128            448                                                 
                        G.dmt framing                                               
K:              255(0)          15                                                   
R:              0              0                                                   
S:              1              1                                                   
😧              1              1                                                   
                        ADSL2 framing                                               
MSGc:          1              1                                                   
B:              239            15                                                   
M:              1              8                                                   
T:              1              1                                                   
R:              16              16                                                   
S:              9.0000          9.0000                                               
L:              1920            128                                                 
😧              16              2                                                   
                        Counters                                                     
SF:            3241165        3241163                                             
SFErr:          283            8                                                   
RS:            0              0                                                   
RSCorr:        0              0                                                   
RSUnCorr:      0              0                                                   
HEC:            183            2                                                   
OCD:            1              0                                                   
LCD:            0              0                                                   
ES:                    481
SES:                    4 
UAS:                    40
Total time = 1 days 4 hours 27 min 11 sec
SF  = 5102257                           
CRC = 618                               
LOS = 0                                 
LOF = 0                                 
ES  = 481                               
Latest 1 day time = 4 hours 27 min 11 sec
SF  = 943044                           
CRC = 54                               
LOS = 0                                 
LOF = 0                                 
ES  = 52                               
Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 11 sec 
SF  = 43050                             
CRC = 3                                 
LOS = 0                                 
LOF = 0                                 
ES  = 3                                 
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec 
SF  = 52930                             
CRC = 0                                 
LOS = 0                                 
LOF = 0                                 
ES  = 0                                 
Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec   
SF  = 4159213                           
CRC = 564                               
LOS = 0                                 
LOF = 0                                 
ES  = 332                               
15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52931                                               
CRC = 3                                                   
LOS = 0                                                   
LOF = 0                                                   
ES  = 3                                                   
15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52989                                               
CRC = 0                                                   
LOS = 0                                                   
LOF = 0                                                   
ES  = 0                                                   
15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52872                                               
CRC = 0                                                   
LOS = 0                                                   
LOF = 0                                                   
ES  = 0                                                   
#                                                         
[/tt]
Cheers,
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
Mand
Grafter

There's people round here that would be very envious of those stats. Wink
Certainly looks nothing to worry about, if the line stays stable but your profile doesn't increase in a week or so I'd say we should go down the SNR reset route.