cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck MSR -- can comms guys help?

paulh
Rising Star

Stuck MSR -- can comms guys help?

BT Speedtester shows my IP profile to be 7150, which I think implies MSR of 8000.
I always sync at 8128/448 and on three consecutive days this week I've disconnected and reconnected my modem/router so that it resyncs, and over 72 hours have passed since my last resync.
However my MSR is still showing as 7000 -- MSR was always 8000 since i was maxed ~18 months ago,  but had a power outage a couple of months ago which caused it to drop. I've always synced at 8128 again since then.
I'd like to ensure that i maximise throughput so raised a ticket (22977726 ) asking it to be unstuck but the answer from CSC was -- I paraphrase -- "don't worry about it (and we're not going to do anything)"
Could any comms person watching the forum do the unsticking thing for me? (I don't have any Maltesers I'm afraid)
thanks
paul
14 REPLIES 14
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Stuck MSR -- can comms guys help?

By MSR do you mean the figure shown under high speed broadband. If so, the highest that will be is 7000 and is the correct figure for 8128Kbs sync speeds as the loss is due to protocol overheads (hence BTs IP profile of 7150).
You are not losing out on data rate speeds.
Note a figure of 8000 was only ever used for LLU connections and occasionally when the Bras Profile from BT was not received properly, and even then would be set to the correct figure once a Bras profile was received.
See this thread for more details and some tests which proved 7000 was the correct figure to use.
paulh
Rising Star

[quote="Peter Vaughan"]a figure of 8000 was only ever used for LLU connections
Not true in my case Peter.
My MSR on the "high speed broadband" page was 8000 from the moment I was Maxed in May 2006 until, as I say, a couple of months ago when I had some poor sync events due to power problems at my home and the local exchange.
But I hadn't seen the thread which you link to, which makes things rather clearer than the reply I had from CSC.
I'd still like clarification from PN that "7000 is the new 8000" ... Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

James already confirmed it in that thread.
That fact you were still on 8000 until recently suggests your profile has not been updating properly or whoever set it in the first place did so in such a way that a Bras profile from BT did not change it. Max has never had an 8000 figure from BT, only from PlusNet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

For a sync of 8128 the IP Profile should be 7150 on BT's side and 7000 on our side. AFAIK this should have been the case since we starting providing lines on Max.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Paul,
As has been mentioned, 7000Kbps is correct.  It's actually marginally higher than that.  We set the profile 7150Kbps lines marginally lower to prevent data loss at BTs end to ensure that you're getting the best possible throughput against your IP Profile.
paulby
Grafter

Also have a look at this thread.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Which I included in my first reply Wink
paulby
Grafter

Sorry Peter - missed that link!
Paul
paulh
Rising Star

whoops i think i must have disabled reply notifications ... thanks for all responses, I'm satisfied!
However [quote="Chris Parr"]7000 on our side. AFAIK this should have been the case since we starting providing lines on Max. isn't correct, there's many many of us who had an MSR reported on the portal as 8000 since the beginning of Max -- loads of threads to prove that! -- but not now so that's where my confusion has arisen.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That would have been because there were issues with getting and processing the Bras profiles from BT in the early stages of Max so PN forced the setting to 8000 in many cases so people could get the higher speeds. Normally once the Bras profiles were received and processed correctly, the figure was adjusted to the correct value.
The fact that you had been on 8000 suggests there has been a problem with the Bras processing on your line which has only recently been corrected. The fact it is now 7000 would not have had any affect on your speeds as explained earlier.
fceluk
Grafter

I'll tell you what guys
It's pretty frustrating reading all this about 7150, 8000 etc
when, because of distance from exchange and lack of capacity, you max out at 1700.  Sad
Dick
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Tell me about it Dick! Roll_eyes
I get a paltry 3-3.5Mbps Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I get a paltry 3-3.5Mbps Undecided

How about 2mbps? I think I'm the winning loser so far! lol Undecided
fceluk
Grafter

Quote from: fceluk
It's pretty frustrating reading all this about 7150, 8000 etc
when, because of distance from exchange and lack of capacity, you max out at 1700.  Sad
Dick

and the worst part about this is I can see Sheffield Town Hall from my office window (Sheffield being the home of f9).  Sad