Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck IP profile

egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Stuck IP profile

Hi there,
Not going through all Plusnets palava with faults.
My IP profile on BT speedtest is 1.92, but on Plusnet site it's 1.6.
Internet been slow for months and I only just noticed this.
At the download speed I get, I need all the help I can get.
Hope someone from PNet sees this.
Geoff
8 REPLIES 8
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Stuck IP profile

Hi,
I've tested the line and our profile is 1.6Mbit, because this is the delta report from BT. At test on BTw shows that you are getting a line rate of 1637k.That's was last updated this morning.
Rather than raising a fault, I'm going to reset the line. If you are OK with me doing this, and the ten day training period, let me know and I'll get on with it Smiley
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Thanks for reply.
The ADSL has dropped out twice in the last hour and the profile with bt has also dropped.
When the router reconnects, Routerstats is showing line noise at 7.5dB. I would have thought target would be 6dB.
Really fed up of this as early last summer I was getting 2 Meg download speeds.
I would appreciate you trying anything.
Regards, Geoff
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Geoff,
What you have posted here rather points to you having some local interference.
Your target SNRM might well be 6dB, but that is not "nailed to the wall".  When the modem synchs-up it will establish a xDSL session at the highest speed it can at the TARGET SNRM.  Note that this is a MARGIN over noise figure.  Therefore if at the time of the resynch there is noise prevalent, when that noise goes away, the margin will rise.  This is exactly what you appear to have witnessed.
Keeping routerstats running 24x7 with a 10 second sample interval will allow you to monitor the rise and fall of the SNRM through the day as equipment is switched on / off and into and out of standby.  There are no end of household devices which could cause what you appear to be experiencing.
The "Plusnets palava with faults" is there for good reasons - it helps you identify (or eliminate the possibility of) faults in your own equipment and thereby avoid a BTOR call out being able to report "Fault found in EU equipment" and you receiving a big bill form BTOR for No Fault Found.
All internal wiring your side of the NTE5 test socket (including SSFP, lower faceplate, internal wires and extension sockets) are your responsibility.  Some historical BT wiring standards are not ideal for proficient ADSL operation.
If you would like assistance from the community, can you please gather the information requested in the speed issues thread at the top of the ADSL forum.
Is your phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router in the master socket?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Hi Kevin,
Been through all this about 12 months ago.
BT came and found no faults - external or internal.
I can put most of my dropouts, though not all, down to the guy next door who has a faulty psu in his Sky box. When he connects to the phone line everything goes haywire.
Have checked this as I am a radio ham and the interference from it plays havoc with my radios.
Have spoken to OFCOM but they cant do anything about it.
Just keeping fingers crossed that his box expires soon. LOL
I'm a long way from the exchange so there's a lot of line to collect interference.
Annoying thing is, our green box is the only one in the area not connected for fibre. Something to do with the highways department saying a new box would be 7.5cm to deep and would block the pavement.
Hey Ho,
Best regards, Geoff
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Geoff,
Well that brightly illuminates your situation - wide spectrum interference from a local device.
Sadly neither BTOR nor PN are in a position to fix that.  I take it that your neighbour is not amenable to getting SKY to replace the defective box?
Ofcom has delegated to the BBC responsibility for investigating interference with the radio spectrum - http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/complain/tv-and-radio-complaints/tv-or-radio-interference-or-reception...
Ofcom is total waste of space.  Do you have other neighbours similarly impacted?  If has been known for Ofcom to act if enough people in a given locality raise the same issue with them.

Has BTOR tried a RF3 filter on the line?  REIN is a pain in the bum, especially when with a little bit of cooperation the problem can be eliminated easily.

Hope you find a resolution soon.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Hi again,
The RF3 filter is about the only thing I haven't tried.
ADSL Nation faceplate, ferrite rings, clip on ferrites, shielded cat 5 cables. They aren't very effective. Our phone line is overhead so exposed to all sorts.
The neighbour helped me find the problem by switching various items off and on, but thats as far as it went.
The Sky box is quite old and he won't approach them for a replacement.
Will have to see if anyone else is having problems.
Even if fibre becomes available, I would worry about the line from us to the cabinet collecting this interference.
Thanks for your suggestions,
Stay safe,
Geoff
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Why won't your neighbour approach Sky, if their box is faulty they should replace it FOC?
egeoffreydavies
Grafter

What can I say ?
Quite a young family, with young children.
Doesn't have internet in the house and isn't interested in anyone else's problems.
Ce la vie.
I'm going to try an RF3, just to see, but our house is for sale and hopefully I'll get better ADSL where we intend moving.
All the best, Geoff