cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck IP Profile?

wearyplodder
Grafter

Re: Stuck IP Profile?

Sorry for delay -  I have only just looked back at the forum for the first time today.
I raised a Fault last evening, but am not sure what is happening with it yet. At the bottom of the Troubleshooting page which says "Thanks, you've given us all the information we need to investigate your problem" almost straight away I got a message which says
"Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable.  There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a system error.  A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers. In the meantime, if you're still having problems with your broadband please give us a call."
I am still seeing speeds around 2100 kbps.
Any chance you can tell me what is happening?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi  wearyplodder,
No sign of anything from the fault checker on our side apart from a fault ticket submitted last saturday that's since been closed off.
Can you try it again? let me know if it's still a problem as I don't mind giving you a call to go through the fault checks over the phone with you
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Also (assuming it doesn't work) can you confirm you've tested the connection with just the router plugged into the master (or better still test) socket, tried a new filter and confirmed the fault is still apparent?
Please let us know if so and we'll do what we can to progress this manually.
wearyplodder
Grafter

Hi gentlemen,
This morning after receiving Adam's post I went to Member Centre / Connection Settings and clicked on Broadband Fault Checker and that took me straight to the page thanking me for all the information, etc.
The postman has delivered the new extension cable so I now have the router plugged directly into the Test socket and I have brand new filters  fitted throughout the house.
I have run another Speedtest and these are the results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1822 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
I am at home if you would like to give me a call, though later this afternoon the line might be engaged for a (long) while [wife/daughter Wink ]
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I still can't see an open fault ticket on your account I'm afraid so if your phone rings in the next hour or so it's probably me Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wearyplodder
Grafter

Hi Adam (or anyone else who can help me here!),
Thanks for the update on my Fault this morning.  I am puzzled about the relevance of the Connection Graph.
When no one in the home is using the Broadband connection for a while, the router automatically disconnects and the "Online" light goes out.  The "Sync" light remains on constant.  Now although I have kept no record, these disconnection times appear to tie-up with the disconnected times on the graph.
Is it disconnections from Plusnet that effect the IP Profile, even though the Sync connection remains live?  And if so, should I be able to prevent the router from automatically disconnecting in this way?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If the sync light remains up that shouldn't be a worry in that case as it is a loss of sync that lowers the IP profile.
As per my recent update to your ticket a new router is on the way so let me know if anything improves with that.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wearyplodder
Grafter

So do you have any record of events that would have a negative effect on the IP Profile? 
When we spoke on the phone I got the impression that you were looking at something that made you not surprised that the IP Profile was set at 2000 kbps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes, something has lowered the IP profile and I do suspect that some of the disconnections shown on the graph are "sync events" rather than just a loss of the PPP layer. TBH I'm not sure we are able to see a record of just sync events. Let me look into that and I'll get back to you ASAP.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wearyplodder
Grafter

Adam,
Thanks.  I wait to hear what you can find on that.  But just another consideration:
I am a complete novice in these matters, but having read up a little, I wonder whether it is significant that there were major road works near our exchange over recent weeks.  Could the connection have been affected then, and the IP Profile remained "stuck"?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I wonder whether it is significant that there were major road works near our exchange over recent weeks

It could be the case, we'll consider that but keep an open mind for the moment anyway.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wearyplodder
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Yes, something has lowered the IP profile and I do suspect that some of the disconnections shown on the graph are "sync events" rather than just a loss of the PPP layer. TBH I'm not sure we are able to see a record of just sync events. Let me look into that and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Have you been able to turn anything up on this yet?
Looking at the Connection Graph again (attached) it seems to me to differentiate between Session Close and Connection Failed, with none of the latter showing at all. I have successfully done some pretty big non-restartable downloads recently which also seems to me to indicate that there have been no connection drops for quite lengthy periods, but still the IP Profile is stuck at 2000 kbps.
The new router still has not arrived.
Being plugged into the Test socket all this time means having a trail of cables along the landing, and while great wifely patience is being demonstrated, it would not be fair to let that situation remain over the Christmas period.
Hope you can get something moving for me soon.
Regards,
John C
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI wearyplodder,
Looks like it's stuck on our supplier's system. I reset the line to try to clear that for you.
Jojo Smiley
wearyplodder
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Quote from: Joanne

I reset the line to try to clear that for you.
Jojo Smiley

Thank you so much for that!  How long before I might see a difference?
John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Have you been able to turn anything up on this yet?

I just need to see how things go with the new router, if there's no improvement we'll move towards an engineer visit.
The new router still has not arrived.

Sorry to hear that, let me know if it's not with you tomorrow and I'll send another one out.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team