cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck IP Profile ?

JJ
Grafter

Stuck IP Profile ?

Haven't been here for a while but then everything has been fine.
Might have a stuck IP Profile.
Router sync 8128, 8 dB Down, 27dB up. Line atten. 23 down, 10 up.
BT test says 8128. IP Profile 2Mb.
BT test was Friday. Been slow for some time but only just got round to looking into it. ( Have been blaming PN Traffic management)
Re booted Modem a couple of times on Friday (well might have been 3 or 4 times 2 were by mistake)
Have tried the Trouble shooter but that says 'Connection dropped at least twice a day over last week, Well if that's just Friday than its me rebooting.
Have had no obvious signs that I keep loosing connection have been using internet every day.
I have turned the modem log on and so far it says things are ok.
Ticket number 43280394
I don't have a spare modem and anyway performance indications are that its ok.
Speed is still 2Mb
PN says profile is 7Mb (which is what it normally is)
Any suggestions ?
John
9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Stuck IP Profile ?

If your IP Profile was stuck at 2 Mbps then your Plusnet IP Profile would be stuck at the same value.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JJ,
It seems there are some inconsistencies between the bRAS and the DSLAM. I'm looking into this further now for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JJ,
Ok. it looks like I've managed to get that sorted now. Let me know if you see the increase. If not then it may need a reboot.
Jojo Smiley
xist
Grafter

I don't know whether it's appropriate to post here rather than starting a new topic but i think my PN IP Profile is askew...i noticed today around lunchtime due to a seemingly random halt in my connection speeds..
According to Routerstats my connection has been solid for at least last a fortnight (WAN Up Time reads as 14:14:25:30), BT result, run just a few minutes ago is
5804 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
And my noise margin is a static 9.8dB
The reason this came to my attention is today at around 1PM my connection came to almost a full stop and i either couldn't load pages or they'd load at a glacial rate (multiple browsers, flushed DNS etc). Checking my IP Profile surprised me for two reasons- first that it didn't explain my sudden speed drop and secondly i was surprised that my PN IP Profile was at 6.5 if my router was reporting a solid connection at 8128.
Essentially i was just wondering if there was anything screwy with the connection today and if my PN Profile is reacting to some change i'm not aware of? Because given the rate at which the BT profile moves, and the lack of any trouble bar this afternoons terminal speed loss i can't see why the PN profile would be where it is.
Oh and sorry for hijacking JJ's topic....
JJ
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
           Speeds now going up, thank you for looking into that.   Can you elaborate on the possible reason for the problem, (Just out of curiosity).
xist,
     Don't mind the hijack..."as I'm ok now".
8128kbps is the sync speed, mine is the same and it's been that for the last 5 years. My profile is 'normally' 6.5 (6500kbps) or 7 (7000kbps). Which is the throughput. I think the max is 7.125 (7125kbps) for an 8128kbps connection rate (sync). Not that I have ever seen that!

There are probably an unlimited number of reasons why you get a sudden speed drop, and unless it lasts more than a day I wouldn't worry about it.  I used to get them when my exchange was overloaded when a local business uploaded the days data!
The profile will drop very quickly if there is a temp. fault, and take a very long time to go back up, or in my case, get stuck. Its just as well we are with PN at least some one with some technical understanding will look into the problem. I have spent many hours on the phone to India trying to help out friends with other ISP's.
John

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI xist,
It looks as though there's an inconsistency between the DLAM and bRAS speeds. From what I can see one says 6500 and the other (what you see on the speedtester result) says 7150, so I think you're getting results more in line with the 6500 one. I'm on to our suppliers at the moment to see if we can get that look into for you.
Jojo Smiley
xist
Grafter

Thanks Jojo...sorry for the delay in replying, a combination of sickness and birthdays kept me occupied.
I know that my line always used to run at 7150 but have had all sorts of issues with my exchange over my time on BB so another one is disheartening but not surprising.
But thankyou for trying for me.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi xist,
Our suppliers reset your profile yesterday. What results are you getting now?
Jojo Smiley
xist
Grafter

Thanks Jojo, i saw your message slap bang in the middle of peak hours and wanted to check at a less bias time...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6631 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
Objectively, according to my PN profile and that result it's improved so many thanks for everything you've done. I say objectively because me saying woooo! it's better is somewhat meaningless in comparison!  Cheesy
Thanks again