Anonymous
Not applicable

StreetStats, Compare broadband speeds on your street, and in your locale

Compare broadband speeds on your street, and in your locale
http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/
For Plusnet, Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY

Near me ...
(BT Exchange is 466 metres away)

My copper speed, with Plusnet, is faster than 100% of other providers, non Fibre
Surprised at the variations.

13 REPLIES 13
x47c
Grafter

Re: StreetStats, Compare broadband speeds on your street, and in your locale

The uswitch street stats site seems not to be accepting new tests for some time now.
Mine done when I swapped to ADSL2+ was never plotted - though I have a copy of the test result it came back with.
If I select "tests only in the last month" from the drop down box and then pan round the area including a large city I find that apparantely none at all were done anywhere............this actually means lots were done but none were recorded and mapped.
I even tried looking at London in the last month - no tests done - yeah I'll believe that - not.
So it's actually a currently non functional site
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So that map is around the current Plusnet towers, but I'm not sure whether one can come to too many conclusions. Especially as the exchange itself is not within the zoomed in area of the map - it's somewhat to the south, and there's no pin on the map for it even if you scroll down.
Interestingly, one test just across the road from the exchange (a few yards away) has a BT (Retail) test of only 11.1Mbps.
A lot will depend on what packages people are on and probably the time of day the test was run, as well as the quality of the user's setup.
x47c
Grafter

They have removed the 'pin' on the map which shows the local exchange as well.
You used to be able filter the results by your local exchange or all exchanges - now its just all exchanges and the locations of the individual exchanges have been removed - so it's now impossible to see whether those close to the exchange are getting better speeds on average................
Anonymous
Not applicable

I removed identifying  location information and pins on my locale before posting.
If you click on a "flag" it gives you exchange information, including distance, even though metres is spelled incorrectly, and doesn't quite tally with BT indication.
Sam Knows, Kitz, amongst others, will give you your local BT Exchange postcode, and you can centre the map there.
Such as this local BT Exchange

Mine is just down the hill from where I live.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

my test show Plusnet good  Cool
on copper till next week  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: PlusComUK
..........If you click on a "flag" it gives you exchange information, including distance, even though metres is spelled incorrectly, and doesn't quite tally with BT indication.
Sam Knows, Kitz, amongst others, will give you your local BT Exchange postcode, and you can centre the map there..................

Yep, do all that quite regularly. You can also input the "exchange code" in some places. Samknows shows the code as does the Usertools Exchange Status checker, no doubt amongst others.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Good result Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The Broadband Map on Thinkbroadband http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=maps&utm_cont... seems to give much more up to date figures in my area.
[Edit] you need to zoom in or enter a postcode, then click on enable for Speedtest Results.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobboulby
Grafter

An interesting site and PlusNet compare very well  Smiley
Bob.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

TBH having looked at what those sites are producing for my area, I would not put much weight on their findings.
One severely underestimates distances in the region of 50% . That cold be because of users going FTTC, but from the short time it ha been available (end 2011) I doubt that is a major factor. The connection type mix also makes averages unreliable.
On the other I looked at simple 2 test post codes. There it is clear that again there is a mixture of suppliers and connections; ADSL (all flavours and FTTC. From them it seems that they are using a crude arithmetical mean. Now how do you, or can you find an average for a box of mixed fruit.
IM(FWIW)O without considerable refinement teh data is near meaningless, if not misleading.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

For the record, the speed test on that site consistently reports my upload to be less than half what it actually is.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Speedtest recent history, low results are usually when there is a PlusNet outage, and T-Mobile Dongle used ( @ 3mb/s max)

x47c
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
The uswitch street stats site seems not to be accepting new tests for some time now.
Mine done when I swapped to ADSL2+ was never plotted - though I have a copy of the test result it came back with.
If I select "tests only in the last month" from the drop down box and then pan round the area including a large city I find that apparantely none at all were done anywhere............this actually means lots were done but none were recorded and mapped.
I even tried looking at London in the last month - no tests done - yeah I'll believe that - not.
So it's actually a currently non functional site

Update:
Uswitch have now removed the options to view "tests only in the last month".
Previously you could view all, last 3 months and last month's tests only  - now the entire drop down box has gone so you get no option to filter the tests at all by any criterion.
Now, as I previously reported it seems that Uswitch is not updating their site anymore with up to date tests result done on the site  - though you can still do the test.
Previously using this "view tests in last month only" option allowed you to see that nothing had been updated in the last month anywhere in the UK and therefore that the site was not updating.
Now you can't see this fact....so you are unaware of it.
So the casual viewer will think that these listed tests are all current tests - when they are not.
Why do these corporates think they can be clever and the people will not notice.........