Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming video effectively.

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Streaming video effectively.

Can somebody tell me what minimum broadband speed is needed to stream video effectively.

A quick check via google seems to suggest around 3Mb/s, and what about using more than one device? If the Mrs switches on her Kindle to watch something when I'm struggling at less than 1Mb/s to view something else we both get that buffering notice Angry

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
7 REPLIES 7
Minivanman
Legend

Re: Streaming video effectively.

Thirty three views to date and yet no reply to this, even from plusnet's people.

Interesting. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

BBC iPlayer FAQ says:

BBC iPlayer programmes stream at up to 2.8 Mbps or megabits (2800 kbps), depending on the quality. Our standard quality version is 1.5 Mbps (1500 kbps).

You’ll actually need a little more bandwidth than this to watch programmes on iPlayer. If you think your internet connection is slower than expected, please contact your internet service provider.

I'd expect other streams to be around the same. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Fix

Hi Minivanman,

Typically it's between 2.5-3Mbps to stream effectively but this can all change depending on the quality of the video and like you've mentioned the number of devices connected. The number of devices is the same for anything that you are using on your connection, as the more devices connected, the more bandwidth is used.

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You answered your own question really

3 Mb/stream

If using your own router you may be able to set QOS to enable two devices to stream at the same time.

What is your download/upload sync speed?

Minivanman
Legend

Both a lot less than 1Mb/s, and has been for some months now. Guess I was just trying to get a comment from plusnet as being honest, many providers seem incapable of providing enough speed and are mis-selling a service on a vast scale.

Or am I wrong?

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Currently at less than 1Mb/s, if I want to watch iplayer (even the standard quality version) I have to download it first which can take a couple of hours at least - assuming it does not hang up halfway through! 

Herman Melville
godsell4
Rising Star

You need 2.5Mb for iPlayer/NOWTV to work at reliability all but at that speed, if somebody else uses the internet for almost anything, it will start buffering. At around 5Mb, one stream can be supported and other people can use the internet too for other purposes, gaming might be choppy though.

--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed