cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming service throttling

stathis

Streaming service throttling

Hello,
I'm using a subscription-based streaming service which is based on MyTV software. Although that based on the the Plusnet Extra download speeds table it shouldn't be throttled (Streaming -> Line Speed), unfortunately is capped around 200kbps every afternoon/evening (earlier today, from 2pm until 4pm was fine) and becomes unusable.
I'm attaching 3 screenshots of the program that shows its bandwidth usage. The first 2 (mytv1.png, mytv2.png) were taken yesterday around 8:30pm and the third (mytv3.png) was taken around the same time today.
Who I should speak with to get this matter resolved? It's urgent because I'm paying for a service that I'm unable to use when I want to.
Thank you.
EDIT: I've just spoken with the company which provides the streaming service and they said that their application uses the following ports (if that helps):
Outgoing TCP port: 10080, 15454 and 15455
Outgoing UDP ports: from 15520 to 19520
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Streaming service throttling

stathis

Quote from: Oldjim
Raise a ticket enclosing a wireshark capture http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/

I just did. Thank you for your help  Smiley
stathis

Quote from: stathis
I just did. Thank you for your help  Smiley

Still no answer to the ticket though... And the service is still unusable...  Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I think ticket responses are a bit slow at present due the the weekend and bank holiday (mine is sitting there as well)
Can you advise the category it was showing up as - at least then we can either put the blame where it should be or start thinking again
stathis

I've placed it under the "Incorrect Traffic Management" category
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I wasn't clear  Embarrassed
What I meant was the category that the streaming was being allocated as shown by wireshark
stathis

It's classified as Silver (0x40). Assuming of course that I chose to investigate the correct packet!  Smiley
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Well that answers that and with the current out of balance due to the recent BT outage it is worse than usual.
The bad news is that it is unlikely to be picked up until Tuesday as I think it needs action from the network team who won't be back into the office until then.
If it hasn't been picked up by midday on Tuesday by the Digital Care Team on this forum I will flag it up.
Just a point  - please don't use the quote button as quoting the previous post is against forum rules
stathis

If it's going to be solved I can wait a couple of days!  Smiley
Sorry for the excessive use of quote. You're correct that it's unnecessary when replying to the previous post. In this case I was using it so I can read your post while replying without having to travel among several tabs. A "quick reply" box at the end of each topic would be a nice addition to the forum.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When replying you can view previous posts by scrolling down from the reply textbox, no need to switch to a separate tab.
David
stathis

Although the thing I do with the quote is a habit of many years and I still believe that the "quick reply" button would be a great addition (it's been many years since I had to press reply button in any of the fora that I'm participating in), I feel a little embarrassed that I didn't notice that I could scroll down and read the reply, considering that I'm a web developer ..  Embarrassed
Anyway, sorry for the off-topic  Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: stathis
If it's going to be solved I can wait a couple of days!  Smiley

It may be longer than a few days as it's probably going to need a signature creating or similar. We normally schedule changes like this every few weeks as part of a planned rollout like the one here.
What also concerns me is the broad range of ports the application uses which isn't going to make life easy. I'll see if I can get somebody to pick the ticket up but a quick glance of the capture doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stathis

When can I have (at least) an estimate of when the change is going to be made (and if the change is feasible)? It's an extremely important service for me.
Also, I'm paying more for this service than I'm paying for my broadband at plusnet and considering the importance of it, if the matter is going to be resolved after a considerable amount of time it's going to be easier for me to change providers (although I'm extremely satisfied from plusnet so far).
Thank you very much for the update.