Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming issues / video calls keep disconnecting

FIXED
costas4bulbidi
Dabbler

Streaming issues / video calls keep disconnecting

Hi,

My line was activated on Friday. Last night, I tried video calling two different people, using both WhatsApp and Messenger, and the connection kept dropping, at least every couple of mins, even though  the router doesn't show a fault and the WiFi network strength on my phone shows as excellent.

Also, when I try to stream video, it keeps stopping to buffer, making it insufferable – I haven't managed to watch a full film since the broadband was activated. 

I would really appreciate your help with this, as it's quite important for me, and I am currently on my cooling off period, so if it is not possible to identify the issue and fix it, I need to know as soon as possible.

Thank you very much. 

EDIT: I have just realised that there is a separate section in the forum for fibre broadband (which is what I have), but I can't move the post.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Streaming issues / video calls keep disconnecting

If you have a Hub One router then try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands see here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 Having done this try each in turn and use the best. If you have a Hub Zero then the wireless performance is just poor. The budget advice then is to go onto Ebay and buy a BT Smarthub 6. You will find setting up instructions on the Router board.

You are aware that the cancellation period starts on the day you sign up, not the go live day?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

costas4bulbidi
Dabbler

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I will try that when I get home, and also check the router to see which one it is. 

If it was a case of bad wireless performance, would it not show in the signal strength on my phone?

Thanks for clarifying regarding the cancellation period as well. I think this is absolutely ridiculous! So you have no chance to cancel when you actually try the broadband in practice?! What's the point of a cooling off period then? 

Also, I think it would be outrageous to have to buy my own equipment! It's a very small house and the router is not far from my equipment – I should be able to use Skype/WhatsApp or watch a bloody movie, it's one of the most basic requirements ever.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Fix

Hi @costas4bulbidi,

As Baldrick1 has advised, if you have a Hub One you can split the 2.4GHz / 5GHz network and also change the wireless channels from this screen if splitting the frequency bands does not resolve the matter.

Wireless issues are known to be encountered even though the device wireless indication does not change therefore, I would advised that this is not always an accurate indication of wireless connectivity.

The 14 day cooling off period starts from the day after the contract is agreed and is there in case you cannot afford it or unforeseen circumstances arise or you simply change your mind about wanting to proceed with the order. I'm afraid this is not a try before you buy service.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
costas4bulbidi
Dabbler

Hi Jubby,

Thank you for the reply. I will try the recommendations when I get home. I hope it works, as I don't actually want to leave PlusNet.

Regarding the cooling off period, I do believe that the understanding & expectation of customers based on what other companies are offering, is that it would start on the activation of the service. I find the fact that this is not clearly communicated during the process rather misleading. Of course that this is not something that you have control of personally, I am saying that I believe it is a poor decision on behalf of PlusNet, especially as it prides itself in how it treats its clients ("We'll do you proud")

costas4bulbidi
Dabbler

Hi,

The suggested solution seems to have worked. Thanks again

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear that's done the trick

Let us know if you have any further issues

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team