cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Problems again

tywyn
Grafter

Streaming Problems again

I'm trying to stream Veetle this evening and I know it works as as relative is using it on Talk Talk and it's flawless, I also checked on a forum an others aren't having a problem. It's usually fine at the weekends but in the week at peak times it's a problem. You advertise your service as being prioroty for streaming but yet again I'm having a problem with another streaming application and tbh I'm getting fairly hacked off with it now. Veetle starts to stream for about a scc then freezes, it's not me, it's not Veetle it's Plusnet. 90% of the reason I chose Unlimted was for streaming, I can download any time of the day.
I have rebooted both PC and router but the problem still remains. Whatever your doing to your filtering at peak times weekdays could you please adjust it.
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Streaming Problems again

Have you done a wireshark capture to ensure that the traffic is getting prioritised correctly?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tywyn
Grafter

Yes I'll run a wireshark test (while missing yet another game  Roll_eyes Sad )
I really shouldn't have to do this tbh, Veetle is a well known streaming application. Asbo has already fixed TVU.
Sopcast won't play either (is buffered to 100%) but yet again it's OK at the weekends and I can almost guarantee it will be fine after 10pm. What on earth are you doing?
What makes it more annoying is that it works on crappy Talk Talk and not on PN !
Sopcast: Differentiated Services Field: 0x00 (DSCP 0x00: Default; ECN: 0x00)
Veetle: Differentiated Services Field: 0x40 (DSCP 0x10: Class Selector 2; ECN: 0x00)
tywyn
Grafter

Now Veetle is perfect all of a sudden after 8.30pm so it's the traffic shaping that needs to be adjusted.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: tywyn
Sopcast: Differentiated Services Field: 0x00 (DSCP 0x00: Default; ECN: 0x00)
Veetle: Differentiated Services Field: 0x40 (DSCP 0x10: Class Selector 2; ECN: 0x00)

Neither is being classified as streaming.
You will need to raise a ticket and include the full wireshark capture (ideally containing the initiation of the stream) and the traffic management guys will be able to pick it up, develop a signature, and get it deployed.
B.
tywyn
Grafter

Thanks Barry I've done the captures, who should I raise a ticket for?
I restarted Veetle and it's back to frozen screen again, I expect if I leave it a while it work.
So does this mean that everytime some new streaming application is released (and these aren't new) I will have to go through this?
zubel
Community Veteran

If yo go to the Help Assistant, choose "My Broadband Connection", then choose "Incorrect Traffic management" (at the bottom) and enter as much detail as you can.
On the subject of future performance - the Ellacoyas are periodically updated with firmware from Arbor Networks (the developers of the Ellacoyas), which I would assume would add some new signatures.  however, with the huge number of new applications coming out on the internet every day, and changes made to the protocol suites of existing applications, I suspect it's a difficult race to keep up to date with.
Generally, if it's a reasonably straightforward protocol or it's easy to determine from static items like server IPs or ports, then a signature can be developed and implemented by Plusnet fairly quickly.  In some very rare circumstances it can take a much more in-depth analysis to define a signature for traffic.  I've seen turnarounds of a week in most cases - I think the most tricky one has been the Spotify signature, which is causing problems because it's very difficult to distinguish from encrypted P2P and has been referred to Arbor.
B.
tywyn
Grafter

Thanks Barry I'll get the ticket off tonight.
I think that traffic management in general is a good thing as the user experience is improved, but it gets to a point where it's being over managed.
A relative was able to use Veetle tonight flawlessly despite never having used the application before, no hassles, it just worked  Roll_eyes
Surprise surprise, Veetle now works flawlessly first time after 10 pm.
scootie
Grafter

yes these are the down sides to PN's traffic managment but least we can wireshark somthing that should be getting line speed and have this sorted in around 1 week.
where youre friends who are with a diffrent isp can use it straight way just wait for the weather(last heavy snow fall) or somthing else that causes large amounts of internet traffic then ring them up and give one of these  Tongue when you ask how there streaming is doing.
Asbo has already fixed TVU

i know i did'nt fix it but maybe pointed out to you how to go about gettin the infromation pn needed to make sig with.
EDIT= fixed quote
@ anotherone
cheers for the heads up. it had a personality disorder and wanted to be a link instead of a quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi ASBO,
link not working for me, where's it hosted, is it missing a ".something" ?
tywyn
Grafter

Unfortunatley the problem with Veetle is still not fixed and I know for a fact it works on both BT and Talk Talk without any problems. PN are supposed to be the 'pioneers' of traffic management yet both Spotify and  Veetle do not work at peak times. There's a lot more to streaming than iplayer or youtube (both of which I never use). 
The only reason I had a reply to my ticket on Monday (after 12 days) was because I phoned at the weekend and made a fuss, and even then the reply was contacting the suppliers. With the raft of new streaming applications under development this is going to be an ongoing problem, one which I really don't want to have to contend with.