cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strangled Connections

whitbycolin
Dabbler

Strangled Connections

When the New Year started my wish was to have one day where I retained a connection for at least one day uninterrupted, let alone with a semblance of reliable speed. It soon became apparent that it was too much of a wish.

Even if my connection is active the speeds I get are possibly the worst I have ever had, it implied my speed should be between 4 and 21 Mbps, if only I was that lucky I have yet to experience 21 Mbps so I don't know why such figures are even noted? Once I had switched the router off and back on for this evenings broadband I carried out a service test and as daft as it sounds it came as no surprise to see a download speed of just 1.4 Mbps.

I pay Plusnet almost £60 per month for 'unlimited' broadband and the phone service and find the constant dropped connections and appalling speeds unacceptable, more so given we live in an age where technology should provide acceptable broadband speeds. I cannot understand how Plusnet even dare charge me when the download speed is barely any better than the days of dial up connections.

With the advert encouraging new members playing so often I wonder if they are more interested in getting new customers than providing existing customers with the service they expect. I would go so far as to question whether my connection is being 'strangled' so that they can provide a service to its members even at such crappy speeds. In my circumstances it is galling to see and hear the advert, especially when I hear statements implying "Plusnet we'll do you proud" when the exact opposite is the truth!

I once considered changing fibre broadband, but the forum seems to indicate that a majority of fibre customers do not fare much better. I can of course contact Plusnet but the only option is to call them which does not suit  me.

Browsing the help and support pages is a wasted gesture as its content hasn't changed in over a decade only offering solutions such as checking microfilters, making sure you use the master socket and so forth, tasks which I have done over the years to no available there are quite a few ISP's available with some that are cheaper, but can one expect any improvement or will I find as many issues with a new ISP as I am suffering now.

Last week whilst out I ate out at a local pub and knowing that people had commented on super fast speeds I took my laptop and ended up staying for around three hours, because a simple speed check revealed a broadband speed at a staggering 54 Mps! My download speed of just 1.4 Mps is disgusting and I have to ask if the time is right to move to another ISP as I can't get anything done working with such an unreliable and pathetic broadband service, even if the thought of sitting in my car outside a pub sounds enticing.

1 REPLY 1
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Strangled Connections

Hi @whitbycolin,

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing poor speeds and for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up the cause of the problem from here and indicates that your line is currently syncing at around 22mbps.

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUK87455804 Service ID: BBEUXXXXXXXX
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 28-03-2019 08:36:04
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 6.1 13.0
SNR Margin: 6.5 3.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 202778 2641997
Speed: 1147 22374

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 19296 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 15437
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86274 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 8627
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1628
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

Please can you confirm whether this issue is solely affecting wireless connections or if wired connections are affected too?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team