cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange speed issues?

michaelmcg92

Strange speed issues?

Hey
Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on a speed issue we seem to be having. I didn't think it was too bad to begin with but its affecting download and upload. I was with TalkTalk before, our package was "up to 8mbps" but we were getting 14-15mbps and I could download files at 1/2mbps easily. I realise you don't offer this kind of package and i'm not asking for it. However I have noticed the speed is strangely low considering what we were getting.
Now we are lucky if the speed test hits 2mbps which is ok but we have noticed sites don't always fully load properly (sometimes have to refresh a couple of times because it times out!) .
One of the things I've noticed is that when downloading files of any kind and at any time of day - I have never seen the speed go over 250kbps. Which for bigger files like updates etc thats quite painful. Uploading is the same, I sometimes upload my work to SoundCloud or YouTube. A 4 minute 720p video took over an hour to upload, it is impossible to upload a file (5-10mb) to soundcloud. It just keeps failing - I have to upload files using a mobile broadband dongle.
I have exhausted the usual list (changed filters, changed routers, changed cables, different computers, different times (even overnight), changing wireless frequency, downloading/uploading via ethernet and the master socket). The faceplate was recently replaced by a BT engineer and we have 3 routers. I thought our line maybe wasnt capable of these speeds but experience with TalkTalk show otherwise  Cry
Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks  Wink
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Strange speed issues?

Your IP Profile for that sync speed should be 7150kbps so it looks like the value has stuck at the initial default setting. This will be the cause of your low download speeds. Hopefully a Digital Care Team member will be able to get that fixed in the morning.
This fix won't increase upload speed (except perhaps as a secondary effect). Unless 21CN/ADSL2+ is available on your exchange the only option to increase upload speed is Max Premium (http://trials.plus.net) which increases upstream sync speed to 832kbps but costs an extra £7.83 per month.
David
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@michaelmcg92
Your account is already on a 7150kbps profile so I'm going to advise raising a fault https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

When you do the speed tests are you using a wired or WiFi connection?
michaelmcg92

Thanks for your help, I have raised a fault but they haven't been able to find anything so far.
The test shown above was done wirelessly, but tests done via ethernet are pretty much the same  Undecided
Thanks again
Michael
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see the fault is in hand though our faults team are awaiting the results of some tests from yourself, please let us know if the fault is still apparent following the checks and we'll get investigating for you.