Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange profile change

grahamt
Rising Star

Strange profile change

This I really don't understand.
For the past few weeks (at least four) my downstream sync has been banded at 3069 - normal. My Plusnet IP profile has been 2500 - also normal.
My router's been off for the past two days. I switched it on again tonight and my sync speed is its usual 3069. But my Plusnet IP profile is now 2000. It was 2500 when I switched it off two days ago. So what could have caused a profile change?? The only thing I can think of is that I switched the router on after dark, when I always have a drop in SNR. But SNR was 12 when I switched on - again normal when I'm banded.
The one bit of good news is that my upstream profile has improved again and is now back to 805 at SNR 5, which is as good as it ever gets.
Does anyone have an explanation of why my IP profile should drop after the router has been off for two days? Is it something about the prevailing conditions when I switched it on (I didn't look at the IP profile until very recently - three hours after I switched the router on, so I don't know if the profile was 2000 at switch-on time or whether it changed later).
[Edit: I've just done a BT speed test, and my BT IP profile is its usual 2500. So it looks like the Plusnet profile has got out of line. I'll check again after the weekend.]
Graham
6 REPLIES 6
scootie
Grafter

Re: Strange profile change

hum strange, esp as your bt profile hasnt changed.
wonder if PN can tell you when there profile updated its self to 2000kbps
grahamt
Rising Star

I realised after I sent my message that it might have been something to do with changing my product from BBYW1 to Value. This happened on Weds Nov 4th. I don't think it *should* have made any difference (there was no resync or anything to mark the change) but you never know.
Anyway, I've added an entry to your very useful 'Plusnet profiles that are stuck'  thread, asking PN to nudge it. Both the BT and PN profiles have remained the same over the last couple of days.
Just one of those things, I guess. I'm not too bothered about when it changed as long as it gets back to where it should be. It hasn't been a problem for me before.
Graham
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Strange profile change

Hi Graham,
Looking at your account there isn't any reason the profile changed, I've bumped it back to 2500 as it should be. It does seem to have happened at the same time the account change went through, I've not seen that happen before so I'll keep my eye out for any more examples of it happening.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

(post deleted)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sound like the initial problem Shutter was complaining about here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80623.0.html
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for bumping it up, Chris.
I would probably have thanked you earlier, but last night I wasn't able to get through to anywhere. In fact, I was having problems yesterday morning for a while too. Not worth describing in detail unless the problems reoccur.
Graham