cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange broadband 'interruptions' - Anybody else having similar issues?

Zico
Grafter

Re: Strange broadband 'interruptions' - Anybody else having similar issues?

Afternoon Kelly,
Ticket logged #78958395.
Voice line is dead, no dial tone (have checked using different phones). Broadband is up after a long power outage (which ironically has knocked out the WiMax connection I used to post last night).
Do PlusNet provide free diversion of calls to a mobile while the voice line is down? I'm anticipating a long delay in getting the line fixed as Openreach will be dealing with the storm damage along with the shortage of staff over xmas.
Zico
Grafter

Update on ticket #78958395 after the wait over the xmas and new year period.
Openreach engineer called as I was heading into work this morning and it turns out he has previously been out to the house early on in this saga of an on-going fault.
Test/check done and nothing found again. Of course the windy weather was nowhere to be seen this morning and over night the cable must have been blown back into a position to have gained a dial tone.
TBB graphs from 1st and 2nd attached which only show how badly the line is based on the constant disconnections of the broadband. Nothing else needs to be said other than the dial tone was either breaking up and/or down most of the day after the engineer visit  Angry Crazy Cry
Zico
Grafter

For a laugh I thought I would check the Broadband Availability checker since my install a year ago. Also logged into my PlusNet account to see what it thinks I have as a current line speed.
Here's me thinking that WiMax would have been the one to worry about when I got it several years ago. Good job I didn't cancel the connection after getting FTTC.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, I've just passed the fault back for further investigation for you - I'd imagine we'll get another request for an engineer visit soon, but whatever comes through we'll let you know when we hear. Hope it's sorted soon for you.
Zico
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the update. Had an engineer pop round this lunchtime and he's going to come back Monday to check out the cable at the rear of our house (not a one man job and some access issues to the telegraph poles).
Zico
Grafter

19th January, several single crew Openreach engineer visits later and.......                still not fixed.  ***EDIT*** This is on a line that is less than 400m.
I now have a 1.8mb down / 0.4mb up FTTC connection which craps out pretty much all day everyday and dial tone that comes and goes when it pleases.
Still no change of drop wire, still no 2 man crewed Openreach engineer visits.
WTF am I paying for??!?!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, sorry it's still going on though it looks like our team updated you this morning - really hope it's sorted by the 22nd as per the ticket.
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I just spotted this after posting a second TBB graph showing some strange spikes which must have been PN activity as the first graph I posted showed spikes coinciding with a graph somebody else had posted and was in fact the reason I posted mine.
The OPs current graphs are dreadful and must surely indicate a fault but this one you posted earlier...

... clearly shows that the blip around 6am must have been down to some routing change by PN as nothing local is going to alter the base latency. Several others of yours show similar events.
I am now seeing these blips quite frequently. So far they have not caused meany problems.

Zico
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi, sorry it's still going on though it looks like our team updated you this morning - really hope it's sorted by the 22nd as per the ticket.

Good evening Matt,
Hopefully, fingers triple crossed, the fault has been repaired.
Took a call at work from another Openreach engineer who had turned up at home just after 10:30am. This time round he confirmed that a second engineer would be joining him on the job to check the drop wire from our back garden back across to the main road.
Spoke with my mum later on that afternoon who said that the Openreach engineers had found a fault in the line when moving it and had replaced the drop wire. Touch wood that this fixes the problems with the line.
In addition to the above, if the fault has finally been fixed, do I need to raise a FTTC/Broadband fault to get the fibre connection reset to pre-voice fault speeds?Huh
Yaz
Zico
Grafter

Quote from: digitalham
I just spotted this after posting a second TBB graph showing some strange spikes which must have been PN activity as the first graph I posted showed spikes coinciding with a graph somebody else had posted and was in fact the reason I posted mine.
The OPs current graphs are dreadful and must surely indicate a fault but this one you posted earlier...

... clearly shows that the blip around 6am must have been down to some routing change by PN as nothing local is going to alter the base latency. Several others of yours show similar events.
I am now seeing these blips quite frequently. So far they have not caused meany problems.

Evening DigitalHam,
As per my last post, I hope that my fault has finally be found and fixed.
For all it is worth, the drop wire was definitely damaged in some way that gradually got worse until the very high winds on 23rd December tipped things over the edge (though even then it took another handful of engineer visits to fix the issue).
I'm hopeful now that things are fine the next time the weather picks up and I can well and truly put the matter to bed.
Just need to get the broadband reset now so I can go back to the ~78mb speeds that I had when I first signed up over a year ago.
digitalham
Rising Star

Yes it looks obvious that you ended up with a solid fault and I hope the new drop wire sorts it all out for you.
The only reason I posted really was that you too seem to have blips in your connection as do I and others - it looks like PN are juggling things around pretty regularly. So far these short outages haven't caused me any problems but I'd be happier if they weren't happening.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, there's an ongoing connection of 7 hours so it's looking good, hope the speed picks up soon - please keep us posted Smiley
Zico
Grafter

Quote from: digitalham
Yes it looks obvious that you ended up with a solid fault and I hope the new drop wire sorts it all out for you.
The only reason I posted really was that you too seem to have blips in your connection as do I and others - it looks like PN are juggling things around pretty regularly. So far these short outages haven't caused me any problems but I'd be happier if they weren't happening.

If you look back at my earlier TBB screen grabs, I believe that the early morning blips (around 4am to 6am) is the FTTC dynamic line management (DLM) kicking in and lowering the connection/changing interleaving settings on the line due to the disconnections that gradually got worse and worse. DLM was quick to knock the line down over night but I can only say that the DLM raised the line back up once during the summer months when the weather was still (and it took weeks of good conditions for it to raise up slightly).
Quote from: Matt
Well, there's an on-going connection of 7 hours so it's looking good, hope the speed picks up soon - please keep us posted Smiley

A milestone of 7 hours seems like nothing for most people but it's massive uptime for me :D.
19 hours up now since I got back home (would have been longer had it not been for me un-plugging the VDSL faceplate and swapping it out for the MK2 version I bought last week).
Broadband speeds are still stuck at 1.8mb down 0.8mb up though when I called through to the help line this morning Gareth did say that it could be between 4 and 24 hours before it was reset (remotely - I though that FTTC speeds could only be reset by Openreach and/or an engineer visit).
digitalham
Rising Star

Well DLM is an interesting idea but it wasn't the case with my blips....
I saw others at exactly the same times on someone else's graph.
My line speed has been constant since I first got FTTC on 19/12/2013
I've just checked back and unfortunately the post was of a live graph and not a snapshot so it isn't showing any issues at all now .
Zico
Grafter

I don't think all the early morning blips with down to DLM and/or the fault causing disconnections. I also believe that the odd one or two (each month) could be down to the gateway dropping the connection (though I find it hard to believe that under normal circumstances gateway changes would be few and far between, not multiple times per day).