cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Upload Speed There All The Same.

blackconverse

Strange Upload Speed There All The Same.

Hello,
I have Plusnet Broadband installed at two separate locations under two separate accounts, and these are as followed:
One connection at Home, and One connection at University Residence. The download speeds on the Home Connection
sit around 6Mbps and University Residence sits around 15Mbps. The issue is that they both only have an upload of no
more than 0.36Mbps and this is the same for a couple of friends who also have Plusnet Broadband.  I am wondering if this
is all purely coincidence or if Plusnet purposely sets the upload around 0.36Mbps. It would be fantastic to get at least 1Mbps
upload at my University residence "Which is under the account, I am posting this from" as I am aware that all other residences
in my area achieve this upload if not more. In the University Residence there is in fact two broadband connections running
on two independent phone lines one being the Plusnet Connection and the other being Virgin Media so I can't think
of a reason as to why the Plusnet connection is not achieving 1Mbps upload the same as the Virgin Media connection
and the same as most other residences in my area.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Strange Upload Speed There All The Same.

Ask for the upload to be uncapped - it is presently at 480kbps sync speed - there is no charge for this
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've placed an order for you to uncap the upstream at your university residence, that should complete tomorrow for you - we can do the same on any circuit provisioned on 21CN, whether on the up to 8Mb service or the up to 20Mb. If you advise your friends to raise tickets requesting that their upload is uncapped we'll get on it for them too, as long as they're on 21CN services.
Bear in mind the majority of Virgin services are delivered over their own network rather than via ADSL so upload speeds aren't really comparable (unless it's the Virgin national service).
Hope that helps,
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

This capping by default is getting ridiculous! All it seems to achieve is to make Plusnet look worse than all other providers. I've yet to see a single person report that after having their line upcapped their speed has gone down by anything to cause them concern.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jelv,
We've been placing our bulk migration orders as uncapped since about October.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Smiley
What about migrations on request? We're still seeing people recently put on to capped.
What about people moving to PN from another ISP?
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My requested migration to 21CN/ADSL2+ happened on 20/11/2011 and was capped (still is!)
WWWombat
Grafter

I joined (with the second account) on 29th December - or that's when it went active anyway. That too was capped immediately, though I have a ticket being processed for getting it uncapped.
Mind you, the downstream profile seemed to be limited by being believed to be 20CN, so perhaps this got the same treatment?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101489.msg862925.html#msg862925 answers my question about manual orders - they are capped.
Why?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is something I'm looking into at the moment. As things stand 448k upstream is the default selection when doing one off orders, but we do have the option to place them as uncapped.
The reason they are placed with a 448k default was because we were initially seeing a lot more faults from uncapped lines. Since ADSL2 has matured as a technology though this has stopped happening, so as you rightly say unless the line is given a very low estimate there's no reason not to uncap the upstream.
It won't be an instant change I'm afraid though I'll do my best.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@JayG - I've placed an order to move you onto the up to 20Mb service with an uncapped upstream, that'll complete tomorrow for you Smiley Sorry about the delay on that!
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Ooh lovely, thanks Matt!  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Matt
This is something I'm looking into at the moment. As things stand 448k upstream is the default selection when doing one off orders, but we do have the option to place them as uncapped.
The reason they are placed with a 448k default was because we were initially seeing a lot more faults from uncapped lines. Since ADSL2 has matured as a technology though this has stopped happening, so as you rightly say unless the line is given a very low estimate there's no reason not to uncap the upstream.
It won't be an instant change I'm afraid though I'll do my best.

Given that (as JoJo told us) bulk migrations are now uncapped, surely an instruction could quickly be passed around that one off orders are to be changed from the current default!
It surprises me that people are still being warned about a drop in downstream if the upstream is uncapped when I still haven't seen a single post where this has been the users experience!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My guess is that any perceived reduction in downstream speed is nothing more than the small changes (up or down) that can occur whenever the connection is restarted. Perhaps if the cap is removed during the hours of darkness the chances of re-syncing at a lower speed are higher - but that is nothing to do with the change itself, just the time it occurred.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: jelv
Given that (as JoJo told us) bulk migrations are now uncapped, surely an instruction could quickly be passed around that one off orders are to be changed from the current default!

That's exactly what I've done, however as we don't have all our support staff in the building at once (different shifts on at different times and different dates etc) it's going to take time for it to filter through to everyone, plus of course you've got to get people over the habit of just clicking to submit the order which will take time and reinforcements of the message to take effect.
That's why I say it won't be an instant change Smiley