Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Things Going On

MwEmpire
Grafter

Strange Things Going On

A bit of a moan and also some strange things going on;
I'll give you a rundown of how things are going, all started well speed well above expected Plusnet estimate @ 76Mb/s all going well.
Then loss of connection at the most inconvenient of times, after Christmas new Xbox games for the kids, days off, trying to book holidays etc. you get the picture.
Open Reach appointments, no faults found, line stable,  threat of a bill ( only waivered because my wife made a good cup of coffee) his words. Angry
More speed issues, down to 50Mb/s, Plusnet say its acceptable, more connection issues.
Open Reach visit again, no fault found, say it must be Plusnet's end, no mention of a bill this time though which is a bit better I guess !
Again today, the dreaded DSL light flashing on the Open Reach Modem, here we go again.
This time to avoid the moaning kids and the possibility of a beaten up Xbox, we decide to go out for the day and see if the magic Internet Fairy  will visit and make things better.
Wrong.. after checking the usual culprits, changing leads power down the Modems, I know the drill off by heart now, I make the call to Plusnet Support, do the usual wait and the tedious music, with awful sound and the volume going up and down ( I guess this is make make you think you have a phone line fault) I get to speak to helpful chap who asks me to do the usual, power down etc.
As I go to do the power down an incredible event occurs, the flashing light stays on, before I can touch anything, I tell the support guy and he replies this sometime happens, so lets get this straight, its nothing he has done at Plusnets end, its just a coincidence, its been off all day, and decides to come on as if by magic, I would compare this to going to the dentist with a toothache and when you sit in the chair, the tooth falls out by itself Wink
Now with my magic connection, a third of the speed, also another strange thing has happened instead of my usual London location on http://www.speedtest.net/ my location is now Sheffield, Plusnets Head Quarters.
Sorry for the sarcasm, but all I want is what I pay for, I think the Virgin Media mailshots are starting to fall on listening ears for a change...  
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Strange Things Going On

Hi MwEmpire,
I've just been looking at where we can take things next with this one.
The fault report shows the next step is a request to book another engineer visit, it may be a good idea to go ahead with that so we can rule out a few more things as I can't see that checks on the E and D side cabling, the drop wire or checks for REIN have been done yet. I'd argue it's a good idea to consider factors like that when looking at a protracted intermittent fault such as this one.
Let us know if you want to go ahead with that and I'll do what I can to start steering things in that direction.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MwEmpire
Grafter

Hi Adam,  thanks for the update,  I did think it may be a wiring fault,  I must admit the prospect of another tedious Or engineer is a daunting one.
I still can't understand how it managed to connect without you doing something your end.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I must admit the prospect of another tedious Or engineer is a daunting one.

If you did decide to go down that route I'd think of it as a case of working to rule out things that haven't been look at yet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MwEmpire
Grafter

Hi Adam,  I think I will endure the engineer visit if it can help to cure the intermittent connection.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've got an engineer appointment booked in for you for this Saturday(19th). Your ticket has been updated, let us know if you've any issues with that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Are you absolutely sure - Easter Saturday  Crazy
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

This Saturday is a regular working day - only Bank Holiday for BT is Good Friday.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I can't see that checks on the E and D side cabling, the drop wire or checks for REIN have been done yet. I'd argue it's a good idea to consider factors like that when looking at a protracted intermittent fault such as this one.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is FTTC, then the e-side has no bearing on matters.
Is there noise on the voice circuit?  If at the time of the reported line check, things magically started working again, is there any possibility of the line check 'fixing' a bad joint (d-side) issue?  I recall a BTOR engineer telling me that test / ring tone voltages can 'clear' some intermittent issues. The biggest problem with such issues is that when someone is looking for them they are not present so no fault can be found to be fixed, hence the sceptre of no fault bills.  Sometimes the only way of eliminating such issues is to visually check and remake EVERY cable joint in the pair - watch out for flying pigs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MwEmpire
Grafter

It certainly needs a check over the wiring, on previous OR visits the engineer said the line is perfect with no errors at all. My concern was with the fact the OR modem had a flashing DSL light all day with no change after numerous resets and power downs, but as I was on the phone to Plusnet support it suddenly connected, which I thought was strange.
It seemed like Plusnet just switched it back on, surely if it were a wiring fault my end the reconnect wouldn't have occurred ? 
MwEmpire
Grafter

Just had Open Reach visit same events again really, line test no problems line syncing at 76Mb/s, quiet test no problems.
I asked him to investigate the wiring outside etc. which he did, which took about 2mins, probably due to the rain and the fact he had to go outside.
So no further forward, he couldn't explain the all day disconnections etc. as per all the other Open Reach visits he said it must be a software fault at Plusnets end, I mentioned I had been without a connection all day last week, and miraculously it reconnected as I was on the phone to Plusnet support and this backed up a Plusnet fault rather than a line fault and I tend to agree.
Can someone please nudge my profile back up to 76Mb/s to match my line speed as per Open Reach test.
I guess I'll see how things go for now..
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just nudged the profile up for you.
Our Faults Team will continue to investigate this issue and will be in touch as soon as they can.
MwEmpire
Grafter

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, all seems good.  Smiley Smiley