cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Sync issue - not my connection

Mav
Fixes: 514

Strange Sync issue - not my connection

While visiting my daughter at my ex-wife's recently she has often complained of slow speeds. They are with PN.
Sync showed 1152 down and 288 up so I explained they are on fixed 1M line. As they are only 93 metres from the exchange (as the crow flies) I suggested my ex-wife contct PN and requested being but on DSLMax with, possibly, going on 21CN.
Ex was told that she is already on Max and I was passed the phone. Apparently from 2006 to 2008 she was syncing at around 6000 then suddenly it dropped. I did the usual checks like plugging direct into master socket which looks like it's around 100 years old! Just one filter and no phone but still only 1152 sync. I argued how could she still be on Max if the up was only 288 but I was assured she is.
She was told to raise a speed fault and I did that for her. She has a Voyager 2110 router.
I wonder how PN can have her connection down as Max but she syncs so low. Could this be a wiring issue (certainly not internal wiring) or at the exchange or is the problem with PN?
Any advice while I am waiting ex to give me the results of the Fault ticket would be appreciated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Strange Sync issue - not my connection

See if you can get the router stats - that will answer the question.
Mav

S/N  was 30.3.
I think Att was 6

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend

That answers the question - let's see if it gets sorted without intervention from here - I wouldn't hold your breath
Mav

Yes - I thought the S/n a tad high but what could cause that? Exchange equipment, faulty router, bad cabling? I expect it could be any of those.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

None of the above - it is on a standard fixed speed line despite what the records say
Mav

Well I spoke to two different CS fellas (both seem to be insheffield) and they each insisted that the line is most definitely DSLMax.
When I suggested they could be wrong as the upload would be higher than 288 they simply said that ex synced previously at 6000 from 06/08 and, therefore, must be max and a speed fault needs to be raised.
Wasn't happy with this but felt better do it to eliminate other potential issues.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well I agree with Jim. It looks to me that the line got reconfigured, someone's fouled up. (Note if she's that close to the exchange she should sync at 8128 on max and there will be a high SNRM - make sure the 2110 has the latest firmware by the way.).
Mav

The issue appears to have been resolved - somewhat.
It is now syncing at 8000 and a throughput (peak-time yesterday) of around 6500. I only got a brief look at the fault ticket but, apparently, BT had rate-capped to a 1M line due to it being a 'bad line' (my word not theirs) although PN had it on their system as DSLMax. It seems PN just requested BT for this rate-capping to be removed and has suggested my ex keeps an eye on sync speed to check stability.
She seems happy with this.
I am wondering why there was no mention of getting this 'bad line' rectified.
Thanks for the advice Smiley

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I am wondering why there was no mention of getting this 'bad line' rectified.

Don't be silly, that'd cost BT (and possibly PN) some money Shocked