cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Noise Margins

oldgeezer
Grafter

Strange Noise Margins

I'm on the end of a relatively long (3.3 km) exchange only line and situated atop a hill at 900 feet ASL.
I've tried a number of different routers over the years and my noise margin usually dips from +6dB to about +2 dB at night-time.
My sync rate has been as high as 8Mb/s at times with a download speed of around 7Mb/s.
I recently tried a Billion Bipac 7700N which kept loosing sync, wouldn't automatically re-connect, and failed completely after a few days.
I've now bought a Bipac  7300N which connects at a virtually constant 6655 kb/s plus or minus a few kb/s.
The strange thing is that the noise margin remains almost constant throughout the day/night at about 6.8 / 6.2 dB.
Is this because the MSAN has capped my line in some way ?
It's been like this for over a week now and it gives me a download speed of circa 5.5 Mb/s which is quite sufficient for my present needs.
I rather hope it stays like that because of the increased stability it gives me.
Does anyone know if the MSAN is likely to remove the cap ?
2 REPLIES 2
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Strange Noise Margins

Hi oldgeezer,
Your line has not been capped and nothing has changed on your connection. The sync speed has remained at the same level for the past 14 days even after the odd disconnect.
I'd suggest connecting into your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest">test socket</a> and see if you have any improvement.

oldgeezer
Grafter

Re: Strange Noise Margins

The fourteen days corresponds exactly with the installation of the Billion router  'so I suppose that explains it. It uses a Trendchip chipset which I haven't used before.
Using the test socket makes no difference although I only tried that for a day.
If  things stop as they are I shall be a happy bunny. The wireless range of the Billion is a vast improvement on other routers I've tried.
Odd about the noise margin not dropping much at night though.
Thanks.
Oldgeezer