cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Netflix issue (NOT speed related...)

StevenS987

Strange Netflix issue (NOT speed related...)

As of yesterday evening (or more specifically, between around Midnight and 1800hrs April 1st) Netflix has decided to classify me a US-based viewer (which isn't all that bad, I can watch stuff that isn't in the UK library, but can't see stuff that I was watching that's not in the US library).

Anyways, a few WHOIS searches for my IP range and the reason could possibly be that it's attributed to an entity with a US address in the ARIN registry and the geolocation methods Netflix are using flags up the US portion.  iPlayer appears to work as usual.

My curent IP range:  http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-146-200-0-0-1.html
Organisation attributed to that range:  http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/INFO.html

Is there anything I can do to get back to Netflix UK besides playing IP lottery?
15 REPLIES 15
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Strange Netflix issue (NOT speed related...)

enjoy the extra US exclusive content Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It is a case of changing IP, you should be OK if you're not on Gateway PTW-BNG01.
I've flagged this issue up regarding that IP range, guess having the US content was OK until you needed the UK one  Undecided
StevenS987

Quote from: Chris
you should be OK if you're not on Gateway PTW-BNG01.

And if I am on PTW-BNG01?
Tracing route to plus.net [212.159.8.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  gw.vl-99.purple-net.lcl [10.10.99.1]
  2    31 ms    30 ms    34 ms  lo0.10.central10.ptw-bng01.plus.net [195.166.128.170]
  3    31 ms    30 ms    32 ms  irb.10.ptw-cr02.plus.net [84.93.249.2]
  4    47 ms    30 ms    30 ms  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.4]
  etc.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What's your ip?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
StevenS987

It's 146.200.70.24.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah, that's on the range with the geoinfo wrong. Try a disconnect and reconnect to and see if it fixes.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

The US netflix is far better, we never use the UK one anymore! Enjoy it while it lasts!
ricandleesa

This is funny because we have had the same issue for the last couple of nights and was told (after being on hold for an hour) that it was something we have done (which we have changed nothing).  Spoke to Netflix yesterday who were by far more helpful and they got us to reboot (you have to take the phone line out of the socket or it doesn't work).  The problem is it is not just your netflix but web address you visit are diverted to the American version (complete with pay with dollars).  Not at all happy about the service we have received since switching from talktalk and this is just one more nail in the coffin.  I should not have to reboot my router every night after the hour of 10pm
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Hopefully PN will sort the geo IP issue soon, it seems to have been going on for a while now! I'm jealous you're all getting US location for free! I pay about $7 a month to make it look as though I'm in the US! Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We've a few internal problems raised on this issue as it affects a number of different online services.
We'll get it sorted as soon as we can.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris Pettitt
Maybe rather than getting it sorted 'as quick as we can', given that you were already aware of this problem, perhaps you could do something immediately to prevent customers being allocated the IP addresses with the incorrect location information?
I also fell foul of this yesterday, and while some might think it is nice to get the US version of Netflix, I was far from happy.  The consequence for me was that my 3 Sony smart TVs refused to load any internet content.  After a lengthy phone call, which I had to pay for, to Sony support and three factory resets of my Tvs, the problem was still not resolved.  It took me quite a while to realise that this was down to my IP address - after dropping my PPP session to get a UK based IP address and after three more factory resets to load the correct internet content onto my TVs, everything worked again...
Surely PlusNet could at least have made customers aware of the problem - that might have saved me two hours and the cost of a phone call to Sony?  I do not think PlusNets inaction on this sits very well with 'We'll do you proud' - you certainly did not do me proud yesterday.
Extremely Disgruntled of South London!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@alanj
We weren't aware of the impact of this problem until the threads and calls about this. We knew we were using ex-ARIN ranges of IPs (that had been tested by our QA team and some customers) and any issues identified during this testing were fed back to the geo-IP providers so they could update their ranges.
Surely PlusNet could at least have made customers aware of the problem - that might have saved me two hours and the cost of a phone call to Sony?  I do not think PlusNets inaction on this sits very well with 'We'll do you proud' - you certainly did not do me proud yesterday.

As above, we weren't aware this was causing this level of impact until we started to get the reports of this.
It's being worked on as a priority.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris Pettitt
That doesn't explain why you have done nothing to inform your paying customers of this problem - as far as I can see there is still nothing on the Service Status pages about it.  Is this something you will action?
And if all else fails, maybe a simple 'sorry' on this forum would be better than nothing.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Other Chris Wink
Service status is being written right now so should be posted within the next 10 mins or so.
We are sorry this is happening but we are working to get it fixed/mitigated asap.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.