cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Latency Spike And Packet Loss

deathtrap
Grafter

Strange Latency Spike And Packet Loss

Just after 4am  this morning , what caused it, was it the endpoints getting swapped about or the GW ?  i notice that the GW that I'm on has gained a lot of users suddenly, and other GW's have lost users too, A balancing blunder ?
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Strange Latency Spike And Packet Loss

There was some work being carried out overnight (PW235013) where engineers were reloading new code onto the line cards, this happened between 02:00-06:00 - this affected a number of different area codes and was done in stages, chances are it hit your connection later on in the night.
deathtrap
Grafter

Maybe so, well ( PW235288) may have caused it , as (PW235013) was carried out on the 25/02/14 according to the Zen status checker and i didn't observe any oddities on that date,
But that's for the reply chris
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Ah apologies, I was looking at the wrong date - of course it was PW235288 (I forgot to check the date that had changed at midnight).
Let us know if you notice any further oddities though Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

Sometimes that Zen checker can be a bit misleading - because even if your area code is listed, the work might be at another exchange or node linked to yours. Also some work might be 20CN/21CN/Ethernet service etc.
Like for me - I live in Milton Keynes and there was some planned engineering work done last week with my area code listed for the work. But the work was done at a Slough node which would not affect me at all...
I am pretty sure Chris can see whether your broadband circuit is affected by any PEWs from BTw's systems.
BT PEW Reference No: PW235288 [TVC_Impact]
Planned duration details:
Planned start: 26/02/2014 02:00
Planned finish: 26/02/2014 06:00
End User Impact Statement:
A statement and impact to End User for the work being undertaken is shown here:
The Planned Engineering Work is required on the Broadband Nodes within the (Manchester Irwell) region that support EU's nationwide for completion of (Software Upgrade). There will be (one) service outage to End-Users of approximately (60) minutes (total) within this period. This outage(s) will occur during the outage window of (02:00:00 - 06:00:00) within this PEW Window. A list of your end users affected is attached to this notification this could be WBC, WBMC and/or HE services. Details of your end users for WBC and WBMC will also be available on Broadband Customer Reporting (BBCR). Please note it may take up to a maximum of 48 hours for the affected circuits to appear on BBCR.

and
BT PEW Reference No: PW235013
Reason for the maintenance
For BT to carry out software upgrade work on broadband nodes in the Manchester Irwell region.
Maintenance Window/Expected downtime
Start Time: 25 Feb 2014 02:00
End Time: 25 Feb 2014 06:00
deathtrap
Grafter

Well at least this one didn't disconnect at all. unlike  a previous issue that disconnected me from the net /plusnet for over 20 minutes, i wouldn't mind but i had just started hosting a game, lol,