Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange DS Margin

cossack101
Grafter

Strange DS Margin

Hi,
I moved onto Adsl2+ earlier this week and had a few teething problems. I was hoping to see a speed increase over my original 4.5mbps but haven't.
I've been doing some reading into my modem settings an notices some odd things.  Firstly I appear to have a very poor attenuation of 51db even though I'm relatively close to the exchange 1km (straight-line). Secondly I've noticed my DS margin dropping all week. It was in single figures but has now gone huge. I've found reference to this on the net which suggests it could mean it's negative. What's goin on and how can I go about getting a faster connection.  Modem stats below.
Cheers

Modem Status
Connection Status   Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)   445
Ds Rate (Kbps)   5460
US Margin   25
DS Margin   2147483646
Trained Modulation   ADSL2Plus
LOS Errors   0
DS Line Attenuation   51
US Line Attenuation   29
Peak Cell Rate   1049 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast   41017
CRC Tx Fast   0
CRC Rx Interleaved   0
CRC Tx Interleaved   0
Path Mode   Fast Path
DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count   0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count   0
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Strange DS Margin

I have seen my DS Margin reported as something like 2147483646 occasionally, I think it means it did dip to a negative figure, but the router managed to hang on to the connection. However, the margin then won't be correctly reported until after a resync of the DSL (reboot of the router).
cossack101
Grafter

I've refreshed the results and the DS margin is now 1. My connection is holding and has been connected for 27 hours since I last rebooted the router.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

-
NM being a log scale a negative actually means fractional in pratice. Logs base 10 for fractions were written 1.1212, now it's .8788
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.