cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storms....probably.

chatburger
Grafter

Re: Storms....probably.

Phone line seems fine.(no noise) We only have one bt socket in the house so I'm plugged into that. Yes I do have a extension lead to the socket but that because it's located in the hallway as you enter the house and would be highly impractical to have it setup there. I will set it up straight to the socket although it's never made a difference I understand the need to eliminate anything my side.
Resetting the router has brought the noise margin and connection speed back to normal but the dl speed is  still barely fast enough to move the speedtest dial.
I will setup now and report back( if I can get back online)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If that's a standard telephone extension cable, that will be causing you problems. How long is it?
chatburger
Grafter

setup and in the test socket with no extensions.
bt speedtest
Download  Speed
0.17 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.17 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.51 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

powered down to see if it changed but it didnt!!!
router stats
                              ADSL Link Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed  4512    kbps                      448 kbps
Line Attenuation    49.0 db                                29.0 db
Noise Margin          5.4 db                                15.0 db
Anotherone
Champion

The sync speed is now a lot better, but there is a hint of some noise somewhere as it's not quite as fast as the stats in reply #4. The profile for the line (and hence the download speed) will take time to recover.
Where do you normally have the filter plugged in, at the master socket, or on the end of the extension lead?
Please don't forget to say which type of Master socket it is (reply #14) and how long this extension lead is.
chatburger
Grafter

Ok, now I feel I'm probably gonna get told off(in a technical way) its a integral Adsl filter extension lead, 10 meters long and yes the modem and phone line plugins are at the end of the lead!!!!! I own 3 of them so change them round if any problems arise. The phone socket is the only one in the house. It's has a open reach face plate which was fitted a month or so ago due to dsl and phone loss.  It resides in the most awkward of places, a narrow hallway which has no place to hang it and blocks decent wireless signals anyway. Hence the extension. I have had this setup, more or less since I moved in 12 years ago.
So do you think it's the cable? Swapped one for the other so I'd be suprised if it was a issue.
Anotherone
Champion

When you say "its a integral Adsl filter extension lead" do you mean it's a lead with a built in filter on the end and if so, is the cable flat or round cross-section?
I guess from the description, the hall is too narrow for a filter and phone to be left there permanently? Just considering options.
chatburger
Grafter

Its on a spool with the modem and phone connectors on the spool..... If you know what I mean. The cable itself is round.  There is probably a better way of extending your line when it's impractical to use the socket placement.
Anotherone
Champion

What make is it? Is it a Maplin one? Do you have a link to where the said identical item can be bought, preferably where it has a picture and technical spec.? I need to check the detail.
chatburger
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

Hmm. Not enough info to be certain. If you look very carefully at the contact side of the plug that would go into the master socket, can you see the coloured wires close to the contacts - might need a small magnifying glass - are there two, three or four wires connected?
chatburger
Grafter

If you mean on the main white connector there's definitely four. I'm assuming you are referring to the bell wire? Isnt that only if you have extra sockets? Also I think the new open reach faceplate would cancel that out? Or possibly I need to upgrade my cables when I can get back up and running.
Anotherone
Champion

Yep, the bell wire. No, it applies to any extension wires. The new faceplate has a choke, but it's still better not connected for the lowest chance of interference. But also, don't know if the cable is twisted pair. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole with the vague description given, and for it to be described as an ADSL extension when the bell wire is connected is atrocious, because there are still loads of people with older (non OpenReach) sockets. How good the filter is, well that's a bit of an unknown as well, although it may not be too bad based on the previous stats.
So you are plugged into the test socket or front plate (not that it should make much difference with no fixed extension wiring) with a quality rat's tail filter ?
The reason I'm questioning all this, is that something has obviously caused that drop in sync - it's either interference or an intermittent connection on your line.
If you want me to suggest the best way to connect up your system once your problem is sorted, I'll provide a bit of info, but you'll have to spend around £10-£15 if you are a fairly competent DIYer.
chatburger
Grafter

The info on setup sounds great. Anything that improves my chances of a smooth Internet service is worth doing. To be honest I'm not to sure of the quality of the filter I'm currently using to the master socket, I had to dig around to find one. I will invest in a better quality one when I change my setup.
No joy on the current speed. I've try the disconnect method a few times this evening and it seems stuck in snail mode! I guess I'll just have to put up with my sons moaning about not getting his Xbox fix for another day! Might force him to get some fresh air for a change.
Anotherone
Champion

As long as you hold that sync speed, the profile will go up, but it may take 3 days. I'll post some info for you later tomorrow.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI chatburger,
looks like your sync profile went back up to 3500 last night. Have you seen the difference?
Jojo Smiley
Thanks Anotherone Wink