cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storms....probably.

chatburger
Grafter

Storms....probably.

After some pretty nasty storms over the last few days I notice last night that my Internet speed was running slow(0.68mbps) Checked my router stats and found my noise margin was up to 27.1 db. (usually between 5 and 6 db) also the connection speed was low. I left it over night to see if it corrected it self  but this morning it was the same. I disconnected the router and powered it off and it has corrected the the router stats to normal but my Internet speeds have not changed, if anything it has got worse for powering down a couple times.
Current speed 0.23mpbs dl  0.3mbps ul
Any advice or should I just raise a ticket? It normally takes ages to fix these issues, a quick fix would be nice!!!

37 REPLIES 37
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Storms....probably.

If you are on a 20CN exchange, I'm afraid it may take 24hrs and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Best recommendation (unless you have an awkward connection) would be when lightning is about, to switch off the modem/router before you get a low sync event. Other than that, if such an event has occurred, when the storm has passed, reboot as soon as reasonable.
Keep running the BT Speedtester periodically until you see your profile is back up, then check your Current Line speed to make sure it isn't lower.
chatburger
Grafter

Unfortunately whenever the router is switched off or the power is out( we have a key meter for electric so it happens) I have speed issues or even just randomly.  So I try to not let that happen, If Can help it. The storm was mostly heavy rain and If I switch off I get issues anyway. DLM has alot to answer for in my case. Seems abit sensitive.
Ok I will give it 24hrs and see what happens but usually when this problem starts for me It takes weeks not a day.
Anotherone
Champion

Can you post you current modem/router ADSL stats (showing attenuation, noise margin etc.)?
chatburger
Grafter

Downstream.      Upstream
Connection speed      4992 Kbps            448 Kbps
Line attenuation          49.0 db                29.0 db
Noise margin.              5.3 db.                  15.0 db
Connection speed is  1000 kbs lower than a few days ago and the noise margin was 27.1 db yesterday. Had to get this info off my iphone because I can't seem to keep the laptop connected so that's about the best info I can get.
Current speed.      0.66 dl.      0.36 ul
I suppose I will just see if it corrects its self by tomorrow.
chatburger
Grafter

Oh also ran the Current line speed test and got this-
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
0.75 Mb
Anotherone
Champion

You need to see what the BT Speedtester says for the IP Profile for your line. When that goes up (and it can take 3 days!),  if the Current Line speed hasn't gone up to match, you can request Plusnet to give it a nudge.
How low does you noise margin typically tend to go after dark? If your noise margin goes to 7dB or more during the day tomorrow a resync would get the connection speed up BUT as you've already had drops due to the storm do it this way -
Use this Disconnect method (and use this method if you need to swap anything about)  -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
You can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
If your noise margin doesn't drop too low at night, you'd typically always be best resyncing during the day to get the best speed, at least an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset.
chatburger
Grafter

typically my noise margin never goes above 6db. usually bettween 4.9-5.9. i will attempt the dissconnect method this morning.
ran both bt speedtest and connection speed this morning.
bt speedtester

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.66 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.66 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.99 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

current line speed test.
High-speed Broadband
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated line speed:Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).Current line speed: 4 Mb

Anotherone
Champion

You could try checking the VP status of your exchange although I'd be surprised if that's causing this issue, however as the data is over a month out of date the information may not be reliable.
There's clearly something amiss here which Plusnet need to look at.
chatburger
Grafter

VIP status showed nothing.also checked on samknows and couldnt find any info there either.already raised i ticket so i guess i will just sit and wait(at least its on though)
although off topic i found  - 21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/07/2012 ....upgrade?  would it even affect me? long line attenuation,constant drop out....blah,blah,blah. these days id consider having a cable fitted right to my door.
living in a village does have its drawbacks!!!!!!!
Anotherone
Champion

As regards 21CN,. as you potentially seem to have a very good line based on current stats, you may get some improvement, and you won't suffer the ridiculous profile issues of 20CN. You will get moved to it in due course in any event.
I'd post the ticket number here, otherwise it could be days before it gets the correct attention, especially as you will probably get the usual standard responses of try it in the test socket, another filter, etc etc. which are totally inappropriate in this case as it's not a connection speed issue. It sounds like a Profile mis-match on BTw's systems somewhere.
However, it's possible that this could be a silly modem/router issue. So run the BT speedtester again and if the throughput speed hasn't changed, do a reboot rather than just a Gateway hop, using the method I mentioned in my earlier post. Then run the BT Beta speedtest (as you've got to wait an hour between Diagnostic tests). If that hasn't sorted it, Plusnet will have to look for a Profile mis-match somewhere.
chatburger
Grafter

ticket number 57414564
i will try the router rebooting the router now. i posted the ticket number first just incase i cant get back online(happens often)
thanks for the info
i await 21CN as the answer too my prayers!!!
Anotherone
Champion

Hope you've managed to get back on line OK.
chatburger
Grafter

Ok initially it seem to work, or at Least speeded up abit. Nipped out for a bit and upon returning I find it back to snail pace.checked router stats and this is my result.
                                   Downstream.       Upstream
Connection speed      320 Kbps             448 Kbps
Line attenuation          49.0 db                 29.0 db
Noise margin.              29.7 db.                  16.0 db
Anotherone
Champion

A very low sync again, bang goes your profile, it looks as though you may have a problem with noise on the line - can you hear any crackling or other noises when using your phone?
If you can't hear any noise, do you have a Master Socket like one on the left or right and do you have any fixed extension sockets and wiring? Are you using any extension leads?