cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping line before restarting? - New Customer

ashdonson

Stopping line before restarting? - New Customer

Hi everyone,
I've just moved into my flat on Sat 9th August, on Thursday 7th I pre-emptively ordered plusnet broadband for the flat, hoping to get up and running sooner rather than later.
Today was the first I heard back, I received a response to a ticket that was apparently created when I ordered my broadband, the response was as follows:
There is a stop on your phone line which is due to complete on 22/08/2014. As soon as this has completed we can place an order to restart this for you, but there is no guarantee we can retain the same phone number.
If you wish to keep the same phone number then we advise you contact the current provider and request they remove the stop order.

Could anyone tell me what's going on here? I know nothing about the previous tenant and what he did with the phone line, I don't even know the current phone number. So why would there be a "stop on [my] phone line" and why is it going to take so long?
I've been living in a hotel room for 3 weeks with no internet, I wan't exactly hoping for 3 more weeks when I should be settling into my (first) home.
Many thanks,
Ash
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Stopping line before restarting? - New Customer

Hi Ash,
Welcome to PlusNET and the forums.
Unfortunately there are strict rules on phone lines laid down by Ofcom.  I suspect that the previous line owner placed a service cancelation order with their supplier, who in turn has placed a 'line stop' order on the line. That can take up to 10 days to process; whilst that is in place, no other communications provider can place an order on the line or over ride the order.
It is a pain in the neck but it is there to prevent uses being unwittingly "slammed" from one provider to another.  Do you have no contact with / to the previous occupier?  Finding out who owns the line and getting the current order rescinded is the fastest route to sorting this.  Otherwise, you will need to wait until the ownership of the line reverts back to BTOR.  It sounds as though loosing the existing number is of no consequence to you, indeed you might find it desirable.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ashdonson

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for your reply.
Feasibly I could get some info from the previous tenant, but that would require contacting my landlord (with whom I'm yet to have any contact) and asking her to then get in touch with her previous tenant for any information that might help. It seems like a lot of work, and a risk of leaving a bad first impression, for very little difference.
I think the course of action will be just to suffer through a miserable couple of weeks and hope that, once the stop has been put into place, my broadband is then set up quickly. Time to break out the jigsaws and books I think!
Thanks again for your clarifications.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Ash,
Just one thought in respect of your tenancy (now that I'm aware it's a tenancy) - some tenancy agreements require that the phone number be not lost by the tenant.  If there is any reference to the same in your agreement, I would recommend that you make your landlord / agent aware of what is happening. The line cease is not within your prevue to control and if that risks the number being lost, you need to ensure that you are not held responsible for this.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all,
On a side note to this, we can normally get a a stopped line restarted within 24 hours so as soon as this has been stopped, if we can get the order placed, you could be looking at having phone and broadband within around 8-10 days.