cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still unimpressed

sully666
Grafter

Still unimpressed

Still finding my speeds less than impressive.

Modulation : 4
Annex Mode : Annex A
Line State : 3
Lan Tx : 321069421
Lan Rx : 242436739
ADSL Tx : 42283147
ADSL Rx : 552832494
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 139
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 276
HEC Down : 427
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 11.7
SNR Down : 9.4
Line Attenuation Up : 6.9
Line Attenuation Down : 12.0
Data Rate Up : 1008
Data Rate Down : 15038
I can see little point in paying more for Fibre when Plusnet can't even provide a decent ADSL speed  Undecided
and this really is annoying "Your speeds are SLOWER than the average in the East Midlands"
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Still unimpressed

I dream of having a connection like yours !  Roll_eyes
I get half your speeds, more than double your latency, and I've never had TBB speedtests graphs as flat as those.  Cry
I can only get 20CN ADSL on an obsolete 'Market-A' exchange,
  so I'm paying £8/month more than 95% of customers who get a considerably better internet service for less money.  Angry
Ho hum  Crazy
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: sully666
Still finding my speeds less than impressive.

How fast do you think your line should be running, and what do you base that assessment on?  Your comment about FTTC doesn't really make sense as it stands, currently you're near to the maximum speed possible on ADSL, what speed has been estimated for you from FTTC?  The benefit (if any) really depends on how close you are to your cabinet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

With a DS line attenuation of 12 dB, sully666 is probably expecting the full 24384k.
I can see little point in paying more for Fibre when Plusnet can't even provide a decent ADSL speed  Undecided

Why? FTTC would probably give you a faster speed, even if the cabinet was right outside the exchange.
and this really is annoying "Your speeds are SLOWER than the average in the East Midlands"

Either everyone in the East Midlands has remarkably good ADSL2+ speeds, or that average is including FTTC or cable connections. Pretty much by definition, there are always going to be people getting less than some average speed.
dnpark38
Rising Star

Would think that is a good speed for ADSL, well when I was on copper that's what I got from a better ISP than PN, Sky , TT etc. which was Be.
They got 50% than other people due to different equipment and system.
If I had been with the other their estimate was 8 Mp
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
sully666
Grafter

I swapped to Plusnet from Be when they were being taken over by Sky (Refuse to give any more money to them) and I was always over 16Mbps.
So the drop to below 13 IS less than impressive.
I am on an exchange only line, but do now have the option of Fibre now. However, I have read quite  a lot of people are less than impressed with the new router that Plusnet are providing. If I could use my ASUS DSL-N55U to connect direct to the fibre I would possibly consider it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could ask for a SNR reset to 6dB as you are apparently on a 9dB default value
You may even be able to persuade them to drop it to 3dB if it is stable at 6dB
dnpark38
Rising Star

That sounds like the sort of thing the Be system allowed us to do ourselves via our Account page on their website and it got my 8 Mb up to 12-13 Mb
mav:quote
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

I am on an exchange only line, but do now have the option of Fibre now. However, I have read quite  a lot of people are less than impressed with the new router that Plusnet are providing.

They send a Hub one (Basically a Home Hub 5) which for me is working perfectly, you could use your own router providing you could get hold of a BT Modem for the fibre Wink
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
sully666
Grafter

Looks like my SNR is back to 6

I assume 14.4 is what BT limit their lines to?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume 14.4 is what BT limit their lines to?

Nope !,
Theoretically a BT supplied ADSL2+ line with low attenuation, very low error counts, and had been stable for a long period, could achieve 21Kbps.
sully666
Grafter

Oh right.  Was told by engineers when they came that I should be grateful for just over 14  Roll_eyes
Interestingly, Virgin Media are installing trunking local to us. In fact there is a trench on the pavement right outside my house.
Plusnet never seem interested in replying when I comment or offering me any decent deals ( Why would they when I am already hooked in.
May have to look elsewhere once my contract is up as my time with Plusnet has been quite disappointing  Undecided
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'sully666' -
Do you get better results if you remove the faceplate from the MASTER phone socket, and plug your modem/router (using a short RJ11 cable) into the hidden TEST socket, as shown below -

This quick test will determine whether there is much you can do to improve things !
Ideally you would want to try doing this during daylight hours, as you are more likely to get a higher sync, than after dark.

While you are plugged in to the TEST socket, run through the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, then after the speed test, click on "[Further Diagnostics]" button, enter your phone number, and click on "[Run Diagnostic Test]".  Copy and paste those results into this forum.
sully666
Grafter

I use a filtered face plate that fits into the test socket of a new box the last engineer to visit fitted. He said it was the best thing I could do as it eliminates the need to use filters at all.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since your target SNR change to 6dB, what are your modem errors like now ?
I'm wondering if those errors are not too bad, whether it's worth requesting that the target is set to 3dB, and see whether the connection holds ?
Going to 3dB should give you a sync speed closer to the 16Mbps that you say that you got with "Be".