cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still paying £14.99 per month

ratbag
Grafter

Still paying £14.99 per month

I rarely look at the plusnet web site but today I did and noticed "plusnet premium" giving 80GB bandwidth at £11.99. Is there any reason why I should carry on paying £14.99 per month for a PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 account with 16GB (I think) bandwidth?
Is it like savings accounts where they introduce new accounts for new customers while keeping the old accounts open indefinitely with an ever dwindling interest rate but don't tell you?
Thanks for any help,
Barry.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Still paying £14.99 per month

Read the small print
** - Plusnet Premium Broadband starts at £11.99 a month for the first 3 months. If you live in one of our low cost areas you'll then pay £15.99 a month thereafter. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £19.99 a month thereafter.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes but if you live in a tier 3 area then instead of paying £14.99 for 15GB of usage you are paying £15.99 for 80GB of usage. So if you are regularly getting the warnings about reaching your limit - which we do about 4 days from the end of the billing period, then what's the reason NOT to move.
Although I do get a £3 discount for promising to stay for a year and I don't know if that would stop me moving products or would get cancelled out.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: ratbag
Is it like savings accounts where they introduce new accounts for new customers while keeping the old accounts open indefinitely with an ever dwindling interest rate but don't tell you?

Well no, actually it isn't.
Firstly, they do tell you, unless you've specifically opted out of marketing communications, in which case it is presumed that you will monitor products of PlusNet (and others) yourself in a way of your own choosing.
Secondly the products ARE different.
Thirdly your "interest rate" doesn't dwindle - you pay for and get exactly the same service.
(I'd love some of my savings accounts to be kept at the same interest rates as 2 years ago  Cry )
ratbag
Grafter

Thanks all for the answers.
Thanks Oldjim for pointing out the small print, I missed it while looking at £11.99 which was quite big and bright. How naive of me — a moment of weakness. I'll stick to what I have then as I hope to keep my broadband for more than 3 months.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The new accounts have been well publicised, but as always customers need to take notice and check. It's 12 months now since the BBYW products were last sold. Traffic shaping is different on the new product, the changes might not suit everyone.
If your exchange is 21CN enabled up-to-20Mbps ADSL2+ is available on Plusnet Premium, but whether it will be available on legacy products is still under review.
David
stallan
Grafter

Quote from: SteveA
Although I do get a £3 discount for promising to stay for a year and I don't know if that would stop me moving products or would get cancelled out.

Is that £3 per month or per year ?
Is this still available ?
SteveA
Pro

Quote from: stallan

Is that £3 per month or per year ?
Is this still available ?

It was 3 per month for a few months - can't remember the details.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm on BBYW2 - the shaping and cost work for me better than the new products.
SteveA
Pro

I have to admit that the whole shaping thing confuses the hell out of me - I suspect as most of my "paid" usage is HTTP I'd be fine on the newer products, I've just not really dug into it all.
gswindale
Grafter

If you're on tier 3, then the annual cost for the new package with the introductory offer is
3*11.99 + 9*15.99 = 35.97 + 143.91 = £179.88
if you're on BBYW2, the cost for a year is
12*14.99 = £179.88.
Obviously once a year is up, the new package becomes more expensive, but there is nothing to stop you taking advantage of a new offer should one come around.
SteveA
Pro

Yes but if you are pushing your 15GB usage and could end up paying slightly more some months by buying extra capacity then......
Mand
Grafter

@geofftswin, they work out equal for the first year, but on Premium you get 80GB instead of 15GB.
@SteveA, your discount would stay if you changed products.
@stallan, that offer is not available at the moment, but we tend to run it periodically.
community
Grafter

WARNING
If you ever change your product keep a wary eye on your account.
I have just this week had a telephone conversation with Srini of the Plusnet staff.
I had noticed that there was available a better by far product than the one I was on, namely  Plusnet Value.
Srini said that I will be changed to the new product in time for my next due payment on 26.2.10
However, I decided to keep an eye on the post and found that I had been upgraded form the date of the conversation to a different product....one which we had not discussed and one which is £7 dearer!!
I have raised a ticket to ask for an explanation and await the reply.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Srini said that I will be changed to the new product in time for my next due payment on 26.2.10

Yep, I can see that's due to happen on your billing date.
However, I decided to keep an eye on the post and found that I had been upgraded form the date of the conversation to a different product....one which we had not discussed and one which is £7 dearer!!

There haven't been any changes, you're still on the same product you were, the extra £2.50 on the product price is due to the extra usage you've used: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bbyw/info.shtml#7
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.