cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no internet?

tytm
Grafter

Still no internet?

Is there any information for the people (ie me) still waiting for a connection after the outage? It is really hard to operate as a freelance webdev if you can't actually use the web.
Some indication of when, or what you're doing about it,  would be greatly appreciated.
Yes; I have done the factory reset, yes it was today and yes I've checked the username and password, all many, many times.
73 REPLIES 73
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Still no internet?

Hi tytm,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties - whilst I cannot help, it would be interesting to know of your configuration - ADSL or FTTC - router and firmware version.
I find the reasons for inability to reconnect somewhat inexplicable in some circumstances, so I'm asking around a few questions to see if light can be shone on to the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tytm
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. Its an FTTC router + BT modem of the standard plusnet variety (Technicolor 582n). I don't know what the firmware version is but I've never upgraded it and the box was received in November 2013 (I *think* it begins with a 5.0.xx.xx). Ive also tried an Archer C7 with identical results & had no success attempting to directly connect a PC via the modem (error 651 in windows 8). The line has been tested and verified working (by plusnet)  and calls are fine.
The modem always has 3 solid lights, as does the router ("internet" is blank until I disconnect and reconnect, then it says "concentrator not reachable" and the light goes red until reboot)
So everything seems to be working individually, just not all at once!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tytm,
I'm sorry to hear that your service still appears to be down and we apologise for the recent outage which may have caused this.
While there are methods for reconnecting floating around which request a reboot of the router, it is important that the BT modem isn't rebooted as this can cause the DLM kick in on the line and end up reducing the speed or imposing a banded line profile.
Can I check that you've attempted performing a factory reset on the Technicolour router and left this for 10 minutes to automatically configure itself?
tytm
Grafter

Yup, I've done that leaving a variety of pauses (some with the router off for an hour and then disconnected from all pcs, turned back on & left for another hour) and twice with an agent in the phone talking me through it and the subsequent router setup.
He did ask me to reboot the modem to once too though. I tend to turn my modem and router off at night anyway, should I be leaving them on?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd definitely leave the modem on permanently.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again tytm,
As Jelv points out, the modem should definitely be left turned on constantly, both the modem and the router are designed to be left turned on around the clock and as mentioned in my previous post, turning off the modem will drop the sync which can cause issues with the speed of the service.
After having a dig through your RADIUS connection logs I can see that there are no connection attempts past the 17th so nothing seems to be getting through to us at all on the authentication side however it does sound like the BT modem is gaining sync which would lead me to believe that the issue sits with the authentication which is handled by the router.
There are a couple of things that could be happening here with regards to us seeing no connection and one of these has been noted as a side effect of the recent outage where the connection details are dropped. When I mentioned a factory reset earlier, this would entail pushing a paper clip in the small hole on the back the router which should have a tiny black button in it. When you mentioned being talked through this with an agent on the phone, did he ask you to simply turn off the router or did he ask you to push something into the hole to initiate the reset?
Alternatively, it may be worth logging into the router from your browser by typing 192.168.1.254 into the address bar, logging in using the admin username and the password which is the serial number of the router (unless you changed this) and checking the connection details on the 'Internet' page to ensure your username is is correct.
tytm
Grafter

He did both but I'll give it another go now...
*edit*
+pressed button with pin for 20secs
+left for 15 mins
+plugged Ethernet back in
+went to 192.168.1.254
+clicked "technicolor gateway"
+clicked "setup my technicolor gateway"
+(launched new window)
+changed username from tr69@plusdsl.net to my username
+added password and verified it visually
+clicked next
+(arrived at options for advanced users)
+clicked skip
+waited for 15 mins....
+nothing
Same lights as before, no internet light, and router says "connecting..."
I'm going to try the Archer C7 again too just to be extra sure but I'll leave the plusnet router on.
N.b. firmware version is 10.2.5.2 so I was miles out with my guess.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did you include the @plusdsl.net on your username?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tytm
Grafter

Yes. Added and checked.
Here is the log from the Archer C7. I don't know what it means but perhaps someone else does?
I'm guessing I need PADO packets..?
schaff
Dabbler

Very interested in this thread. I'm in the exact situation. I've also phoned in a support ticket and am expecting a response. Connection error when plugging directly into the open reach modem. Router has been hard reset numerous times. Line has been tested and is working but no connection noted by plusnet since the downtime.
tytm
Grafter

Phew, I thought it was just me. I know pretty much naff all about how the internet gets into my house but since the PC(s) works, the router works (one of them must) & the line works, I'm leaning towards the modem as I'm not even sure how to check that. Can modems be killed by outages?
*edit*
Or I guess my account details have been changed or the exchange has gone pop, but just for me.
Can plusnet reset the password to check that?
schaff
Dabbler

It would be an odd coincidence. The open reach modem I have is less than 6 months old. Hopefully we'll both be back soon. Good luck Smiley
tytm
Grafter

So now into the third day of no internet and as of yet the only thing I know for sure is that resetting the router (factory or otherwise) has no effect at all.
My ticket has been updated (to ask me to factory reset again) with a graph that indicates the line is fine (in sync?) But there have been no connection attempts since Wednesday. I have factory reset again but to no avail.
I think its probably safe to assume that whatever the issue is, resetting the router is not the solution!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Have you looked at the router logs?  Are you getting a 172.x.x.x IP address?
Are you getting "cannot reach concentrator"?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.